Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I thought I would change my head gaskets. While putting my car back together I was turning my crankshaft to properly seat one of the rockers. Suddenly I realized I had earlier taken my keys out of the ignition to unlock the front door to my house (leaving it in park). I remember reading in a couple of my Taurus books that this was no no. How can this damage my engine? Realizing that I have to be at work a 8a.m. tommorow I said "oh well" . So after I get my car back together (exept for front right wheel) I decided to make sure I put the distributor back on properly, so I rotated the crankshaft to TDC, took the cap off and saw that the rotor was pointed directly inbetween 1 and 2
. It should be pointed directly at the 1 right? I don't know if these things are related. I would greatly appreciate some help. I dont feel I should start my car up yet with out some input. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I don't think the distributor is related to the tranny being in park. If you weren't turning the engine fast enough, it shouldn't do any damage to the tranny. That's why the car doesn't stall out when the car's in Park. I'm guessing maybe you put the distributor in wrong or it's suppose to be 10* of TDC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts