Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a project im going to be doing here in the next month or so. I am putting 4 Jl W7 12" in my car.

I need some suggestions on approx box size and port size and type of port design to do. the subs will be built on a wall style box just need to opinions on dimensions and port size.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
1.75 cu ft per speaker should tuned to 32 hz for a ported box. as far as the ports they should be slotted not round to get the best sound. 3/4 in mdf is the best material to use. screwed, glued and caulked. I like to drill a small hole and direct wire the speaker instead of using the terminal connectors. then seal with caulk to make sure there is no leak. when mounting the plexi glass its better to have the box carpeted already to give it a tighter fit and reduce vibration.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1.75 cu ft per speaker should tuned to 32 hz for a ported box. as far as the ports they should be slotted not round to get the best sound. 3/4 in mdf is the best material to use. screwed, glued and caulked. I like to drill a small hole and direct wire the speaker instead of using the terminal connectors. then seal with caulk to make sure there is no leak. when mounting the plexi glass its better to have the box carpeted already to give it a tighter fit and reduce vibration.

how big of a box do you think that will be. I would like to get lower than 32hz. I am taking the back seats of of the car and biulding the box inside. Def going ported. There wont be any plexi glass. Was looking at making a 10cu ft box with 1" mdf. Still trying to figure out a port design inside the box. Do i just cut a rectangle hole out and call it good or should i make a tunnel towards the back of the box?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the space per speaker would have to be 2.5cuft. if i remember thats outside the specs for the w7s and would should like crap. the most i would go would be 2,25cuft per. the ports need to be with in 4 to 6 inches away from from a solid surface for the best sound. as far as the internal box design everyone has their own idea of whats good. I like the subs pointed toward each other behind plexi glass. i think it has better response. he is a design program. Car Audio - Ported Subwoofer Box Design Formulas & Calculator
what amp are you using?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the space per speaker would have to be 2.5cuft. if i remember thats outside the specs for the w7s and would should like crap. the most i would go would be 2,25cuft per. the ports need to be with in 4 to 6 inches away from from a solid surface for the best sound. as far as the internal box design everyone has their own idea of whats good. I like the subs pointed toward each other behind plexi glass. i think it has better response. he is a design program. Car Audio - Ported Subwoofer Box Design Formulas & Calculator
what amp are you using?

2x Power Acoustic Staks 4000w. I have also heard that these speakers need much more air space to make them sound better. I am going with 4 of them so i figured 10 cu ft box then you have to subtract all the bracig and the port tunnel into that so i figured that by the time i was done it would be close to 2.25-2.5 cu ft per sub. I was think that the first layer of mdf start the 10 cu ft part then add another layer of 1" on the inside, so in theory im making the airspace smaller to help get me closer to what i need. Thank you for the help. This is my first "semi-wall"(not going all the way to the roof) that i have done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts