Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new to forum here. After 2 years of struggling, I finally got a car that should last for a while. We went through an 88 chevy z24 which had many, many problems, then got a 88 chevy astro handed to us for free from a good friend. Well, after being able to save up we fianlly got a car i liked. It is a 1998 SE wagon. After looking around the internet to find out what engine it has I have gotten nowhere. So, my question is what engine DO I have???? I thought i had the ohv engine. Also, what tranny do I have is it the ax4N or ax4S. And what is the difference between the two??? Thank you very much for the help!!!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
ax4s is the synchronized trans. the ax4n is the improved non synchronized trans. if the trans code is L then you have the ax4s ( 17 bolt pan ) the ax4n has 19 bolts.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Hey new to forum here. After 2 years of struggling, I finally got a car that should last for a while. We went through an 88 chevy z24 which had many, many problems, then got a 88 chevy astro handed to us for free from a good friend. Well, after being able to save up we fianlly got a car i liked. It is a 1998 SE wagon. After looking around the internet to find out what engine it has I have gotten nowhere. So, my question is what engine DO I have???? I thought i had the ohv engine. Also, what tranny do I have is it the ax4N or ax4S. And what is the difference between the two??? Thank you very much for the help!!!
Most likely it is a Vulcan in the SE and that is all iron, straight forward pushrod, very conventional design, been used for 25 years. If you can see the spark plugs, it is a Vulcan. Two issues pop up here and that is because it is iron engine thus has rust in the coolant. Used to be people changed the coolant because we had to. Now much neglected and thus you have rust, water pump impeller rusted off, heater pulugged etc. The engine is physically small, narrow and easy to work on.

Thus first off good to flush the system and get new coolant.

Other issue is the cam sensor and there are threads about that.

As to the tranny, the type is on the bottom of the pan in LARGE letters.
does not matter, they are robust. And remember, the Lincoln Cont uses the same tranny with more power and they have little issues. How about 50% more cubic inches and the tranny works fine. (I have one)

Best of luck.

-chart-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks... I was trying to figure out which tranny I have in mine also. I will crawl under the car tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok then it is a vulcan. i knew i wasnt crazy lol. what happened was i called to get a price for a tune up. they ask if i have single overhead cam or dual overhead cam. i say i have overhead valve engine, this went back and forth like 3 times, then finally i just said i'll just take care of it and hung up. i did notice though when i went to get a air filter for car i went through the computer at walmart, the ones that tell u which pvc valve, which air filter, oil filter, etc., and it did not have the 3.0 ohv selection either. Also at advance they asked if it was GL or LX, but nowhere do i see any of these, i told them i have a SE.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
ok then it is a vulcan. i knew i wasnt crazy lol. what happened was i called to get a price for a tune up. they ask if i have single overhead cam or dual overhead cam. i say i have overhead valve engine, this went back and forth like 3 times, then finally i just said i'll just take care of it and hung up. i did notice though when i went to get a air filter for car i went through the computer at walmart, the ones that tell u which pvc valve, which air filter, oil filter, etc., and it did not have the 3.0 ohv selection either. Also at advance they asked if it was GL or LX, but nowhere do i see any of these, i told them i have a SE.
lol... I love when they want to argue about what you have under the hood of YOUR car. Most parts are interchangeable between the 2 engines.
as far as the parts store guys. well now you know why they sell parts instead of fixing cars. every once in awhile I will come across one that will have some knowledge.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
lol... I love when they want to argue about what you have under the hood of YOUR car. Most parts are interchangeable between the 2 engines.
as far as the parts store guys. well now you know why they sell parts instead of fixing cars. every once in awhile I will come across one that will have some knowledge.
Re:
"Most parts are interchangeable between the 2 engines."

Like air filter.

Unlike oil filter, plugs, alternator, PS, idler, belt, crank sensor, cam sensor, etc, etc,.

Shame parts places got mixed up and used the single OHC when there was never one.

-chart-

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:blink:and they said it was $260 for tune up....ha yea right im not payin that. so im gonna do it myself.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they didnt get a chance to tell me that cuz i had hung up by then

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Re:
"Most parts are interchangeable between the 2 engines."

Like air filter.

Unlike oil filter, plugs, alternator, PS, idler, belt, crank sensor, cam sensor, etc, etc,.

Shame parts places got mixed up and used the single OHC when there was never one.

-chart-
:lol2: you caught that one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so wow there is no single ohc. and i know for sure i told her 1998 ford taurus se wagon, no wonder my friend just told me they goin out of business

·
Registered
23,577 Posts
^ There are 3 ways to id the tranny: look at the bottom of the tranny pan (stamped), count the number of tranny pan bolts (17=ax4s, 19=ax4n) or look at the sticker on the end of the drivers door under the letters TR. An X signifies an ax4n, anything else signifies an ax4s. Easiest way to distinguish eng. type is by looking at the eighth character of the vin#, either through the windshield or also on drivers door end sticker. An S signifies a 3.0 duratec (24v dohc), anything else signifies a 3.0 vulcan (12v ohv). If you have a duratec eng., you will have an ax4n tranny. Axod and axod-e are basically the same as the 17-bolt ax4s. When parts stores (or their websites) ask if you have a GL (G) or an LX, theyre erroneously asking if you have a vulcan (GL or G) or duratec (LX). For example, the 2000+ LX is almost always equipped with the vulcan.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok i have ax4s tranny....is this better than the n or same or worse???

·
Registered
23,577 Posts
Some say its the weaker of the 2, but i think its the luck of the draw, maintenance and driving habits. And possibly auxiliary tranny cooler installation.

·
Registered
86 Posts
if you have an 8th digit of the vin being a U, then it is a 3.0 vulcan. Hope that helps you out some....that should also help you out when looking in the parts catalog as alot of times it will say 3.0 vin U or 3.0 vin S, The S if I remember right was the Duratec, and a 2 being a flex fuel vulcan motor. hope this helps you out a little bit... Guess i did retain a little from my days in the ford garage and parts counter....lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts