Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been looking for an aftermarket exhaust system for my 03 SES Taurus (Duratec). I found the Walker exhaust system that seems to be a easy solution, but I have never heard of them before and there for do not know how good they are. Anyone have any opinion on what I should do? :dunno:

Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
223 Posts
To my knowledge walker is just stock replacement.

Search: Exhaust, flowmaster, magnaflow.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Search my threads for info on how to install a Gen III SHO exhaust (dual exhaust with 2.5" primary to 2.25" split with dual mufflers).

JR

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright then the Gen III SHO exhaust seems to be the way to go. Is it pretty much the same design and bolt pattern as the Gen IV? Or would that be too easy? Also where could I get one? Do you guys know any where online that would sell them, or am I going to have to search for this thing?

Thanks a lot guys, you've been a big help

Kevin

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Good luck. it would have to be cut up to get it out of the car.

·
Registered
402 Posts
For the Gen3 SHO exhaust you'll most likely have to check junkyards and such and just take the exhaust off an old Taurus. I've been searching for a while for the same thing with no such luck.

And yes, it should fit perfect on your Gen4.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so if the exhaust from a Gen III SHO taurus would fit perfectly on my Gen IV, could I just buy an OE exhaust system for a Gen III (Walker Exhaust System sells them I believe) and put it onto the Gen IV? Not doubting you in anyway, just wondering.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
just go to a place like Lou's.

on a gen 4 duratec, the main cat back is fine, so if you want duals, have them do a rear y pipe and 2 mufflers, maybe $300.

and get the y pipe redone if your really crazy.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Good luck. it would have to be cut up to get it out of the car.
[/b]
I cut the one I put on the SES Sport just fore of the rear controls arms, and was able to maneuver it out and in with no problem. Of course, that means that you're welding right near the gas tank, but some wet rags and a cool day will alleviate that problem.

JR

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Search my threads for info on how to install a Gen III SHO exhaust (dual exhaust with 2.5" primary to 2.25" split with dual mufflers).

JR
[/b]
*2.25" splitting into 2".

kawa, the SHO exhaust will fit your g4, but it will not directly bolt on. You'll need to have some welding done, and need passenger side exhaust hanger(s) installed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright guys, I think I have decided to cut the stock pipe some where before the rear axle (still have to look to see where the best place would be to cut it). Then either find a SHO or buy OE walker pipe and take what I need from that, which would mostly be the y adapter and the pipes leading to the mufflers. As for the mufflers, I think I'll go with Summit Performance Turbo Mufflers.

What do you guys think? Is this a viable setup? Also, does anyone know if the SHO pipes are stainless steel?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
SHO pipes are stainless.

The setup you described has been done many times, with positive results. :thumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome, so now all I have to do is look for a SHO exhaust. Anyone know where I could find one? And for all the great advice.....a dancing banana. :mj_banana:

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Junkyards, IF they have an SHO there. Those cars are certainly few and far between. There's a 96 SHO parts car on ebay right now. :makeadeal:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone have a Gen III exhaust cut in the straight between the cat and the rear y for sale??? Would the walker work too?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright guys I got a whole SHO exhaust system for $80! But now I got two new questions.

1) I saw a lot of sables with dual exhausts, are those the same as the 3rd gen SHOs?

2) Does anyone know what the stock SHO mufflers would sound like on my DURATEC?

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The sable (also known as the 96-98 duratec exhaust) is a smaller diameter than the SHO pipes. 2"->1.75" vs. the 2.25"->2" on the sho systems.

SHO mufflers sound exactly the same as the stock g3 and g4 mufflers. So in a word, silent.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was tracing the path of the new SHO exhaust under my Gen 4 and noticed that on the passenger side of the spare wheel well there are two tubes that might interfere with the path of the exhaust. What are they and do i need to be worried about them?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Fuel evap lines. Get some kevlar heat wrap, and wrap either the lines, or the exhaust piping with it. I use 1" thick kevlar insulation on mine, but it's ridiculous overkill (but it was free!).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts