Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 2000 tauras SE and have this eletrical problems and i need some quick fixes ... pls help me!!!!she got it used for a nonford dealer ..

Anyway,
1 . I have a alarm system with a reset button mounted on the plastic above gas pedal corner ..a black knob.Is this a feature of this car or a after market .their is also a red led on the left dash - i am starting to thing this is after market?.
Also when i get with the key, the igition does not unlock unless i hit the kill knob or else it starts to scream

2. If it is an aftermarket how the heck do i find out what it is and what and how to get a transmitter - if i find out what it is i can find the remote and the code

3.Their is a keypad and the anti-theft keeps blinking .but this system is obviously something different

so i thing she will be better off removing the thing off and running it with normal lock and unlock functions [i am going to look under the dash for the unlock code for the keypads]

Anyway , i have the car now and would appreciate all the help its 4F here and
hopefully would involve a easier fix

·
Registered
549 Posts
That is definitely an aftermarket system. I would poke around under the hood and see if you can find the alarm module. Look for any type of brand and model number identification. From there I would search for info on the web. If you figure out what it is, post it here and we can help you look for more info. I'm pretty good at workin the search engines.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weird but i took to a local shop after fiddling arounf in the 4 F weather

i have used him for my car so he informed me the system might be a dealer installed system with no transmitter and he has seen a few of those [?]

anyway, he hit the black reset switch and when the leds start to flash twice he said i am all set

so just drove around the system locks and also when the ignition is turned from on to off the sirn chips and ignition unlock happens and car fires right up

let me see for a few days then report back ... btw , is he right?

i have only one key and the dealer wants 80$ is this the only way?

looked under the hook only one gray box with no white sticker where is the code for the key locked on a gen vi
thanks

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
One key for $80 sounds like a "good deal" if it's from the dealer. I'm saying it's a "good deal" because they'll usually charge $100 for a key copy (including the blank and programming). I'd suggest finding a locksmith that can copy programmed keys becuase they're probably cheaper than the dealer. And no, regular keys from Wal-Mart or a hardware store won't work in the ignition, but will work in the doors.

·
Registered
411 Posts
EBAY is a great place for blanks, as is Fordpartsnetwork.com. Get one, go to a locksmith and have it made, and you can program it yourself. I believe that the instructions are in the manual, if not, download a copy.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
He only has one key. IIRC you need at least two programmed keys and one blank key in order to program it yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts