Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since you guys and gals helped me with my computer question, I will try again.

Bry is away for work and our truck had a slow leak in one of the tires. I went to the local
store to grab a can of fix-a-flat and did as the instructions instructed.

Now the tire pressure sensor says the tire is flat and will not go away.
How badly did i mess this up.

thank you everyone
jill

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well, is the tire flat? Check it with a standard tire gauge. The recommended pressure should be on the sidewall of the tire.

What I'm thinking could have happened (though I've got little experience with tire pressure sensors), is that there is a sensor attached to the inner wheel, and the fix-a-flat coated that while sealing the leak. It could be that it simply needs to be pulled off, wiped, and replaced, or there could be a more serious electrical issue (possibly frying the sensor, requiring replacement).

Hopefully more individuals will chime in.
Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Hi Jill!

I enjoy the title of your post.

Your best bet would do what Craddosk suggests.

Hope you can figure it out :)

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
The pressure sensors on those GM SUVs are built into the valve stem. When you used the fix-a-flat, it coated the internal workings of it. Get it to a tire shop and ask them to remove and clean it. It may be able to be saved, if not, the dealer can get you another. While at the tire shop, have them patch the tire from the inside.

For future reference: Fix-a-flat=bad unless it's an emergency. It makes a mess of the inside of the tires and puts them out of balance.

Good luck :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I heard those Fix-a-flat deteriorate the inside of the tire. Honestly I never use those crappy foamy fluids.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (Dave SES @ Mar 23 2009, 10:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711415
I always thought that you fill tires to what pressure it tells you on the label in the door jam. The rating on the tire is the maximum. Isn't that right?[/b]
The tire pressure listed on the door jamb is what's recommended for the tire that came on the car, from the factory. On a G4, the suggested PSI is a bit underinflated to give you a softer ride.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
QUOTE (Craddosk @ Mar 16 2009, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709414
The recommended pressure should be on the sidewall of the tire.[/b]
No, the vehicle manufacturer's pressure recommendation is on a sticker in one of the door jambs. The pressure mentioned on the tire sidewall is the maximum recommended pressure.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
QUOTE (Zorin @ Mar 23 2009, 10:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711408
I recall the happy days when a tire filled with Fix-A-Flat was a ticking bomb.

Literally.

Zorin[/b]

Last time I was at a tire shop getting tires they had signs up telling you to make sure to tell technicians if there was fix a flat in the tire/wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts