Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have a 2000 SE, V6 Vulcan, and AXOD Transmission. I didn't find anywhere it saying what tranismission oil I needed and my book just says "Mercron" but my dipstick says "Mercron V".

I'm at a loss here because I added some regular Mercron to it. I have not ran it yet but I still don't know if its safe. Otherwise I will have to drop the pan again and drain the system, again. The only chart I have found for fluid type doesn't show my year to even have the AXOD.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I dropped the pan and then refilled it with Mercon. That's at least 4 quarts right there. I was doing all this to prevent a transmission failure and now it seems like I'm going to create one. I guess I need to just drop the pan again and refill it. It's just really irritating seeing how my car has been down for more then a week because of other things that went wrong in the process. I already had to replace the power steering pump and that was not fun at all to pull.

·
Registered
697 Posts
In order to remove as much old fluid, you should

follow the procedure in the first sticky topic of this forum. That gets the fluid in the torque converter as well as flushing the transmission with new fluid from the pan using the tranny pump.

If you're going to go through the trouble of dropping the pan, consider also replacing the filter.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did replace the filter. I never found a line coming off the T/C, instead, I accidentally drained the power steering pump and fried it. I honestly do not see anywhere the transmission connects to any radiator. This has really been a crappy week for my car.

·
Registered
697 Posts
On my 2001 SES, the way I connected a hose to dump the old fluid to a bucket was to disconnect the lower metal line that goes into the transmission. This is the return line from the radiator transmission fluid cooler. You should have the same setup on your 2000.

The line is one of two metal lines that are located on the transmission body just below the battery. The metal lines are joined to a short section of flexible hose then to longer metal lines that run to the cooler that is part of the radiator.

The line is removed by removing the line retainer clip, pinching the plastic tabs and pulling. You only want to disconnect the lower line. Then connect your tubing or hose to the end and run it to your waste bucket.

You may want to get a rubber plug to place in the open fitting but it's not absolutely needed - you may get some fluid dripping though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok. I fell like an idiot. Please don't give me too hard of a time.
I bought a 2001 Taurus with 140K miles. All regular maintenance had been completed except for transmission filter and fluid. So, upon driving, it had a few symptoms of having some problems: Slight slippage between shifts, Torque converting unlocking/re-locking at highway speeds. So, Being a Chevy guy I dropped the pan and changed the filter and refilled with Dex/Merc High Mileage. It seemed to magically fix the cars symptoms. Until......... Four Days later my wife stopped at a stop sign and it lost all gears like it was in neutral. I played with it for a few minutes and found out that it if I put it in reverse and rev'd the gas the gear would eventually catch and then I would shift into D and continue driving normally until I came to a stop again. Then I would repeat the above procedure and continue home. Luckily only 5miles and four stops to home. So, I don't have the money to replace/rebuild the tranny yet, but I was talking to a gear head over the weekend and he asked if I put Mercon V in or something else. He said he put regular Dex/Merc in his ranger and it wouldn't pull out of his garage. So, I checked the half empty container that housed the fluid I fill my car with, and In fact I did put in Dex/Merc. He said he did a full flush and refilled with Mercon V and all was well. I am going to give this a shot because the story has merit, and If it works i will save a couple k. Has anybody else heard of this transmission being so fickle regarding fluid type, and does anybody have any similar experiences or wisdom to impart on my situation?

·
Registered
23,577 Posts
^ If you suspect a fluid problem, might try a 10oz. bottle or 2 of Lubegard green (for mercon v applications). Available at napa, oreilly, carquest, parts+plus or parts city. Do this before draining the existing fluid out. Supposedly converts mercon to mercon v. Maybe check out the Lubegard website. Hate to be Debbie Downer, but you may have bigger problems than atf specs.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Ok. I fell like an idiot. Please don't give me too hard of a time.
I bought a 2001 Taurus with 140K miles. All regular maintenance had been completed except for transmission filter and fluid. So, upon driving, it had a few symptoms of having some problems: Slight slippage between shifts, Torque converting unlocking/re-locking at highway speeds. So, Being a Chevy guy I dropped the pan and changed the filter and refilled with Dex/Merc High Mileage. It seemed to magically fix the cars symptoms. Until......... Four Days later my wife stopped at a stop sign and it lost all gears like it was in neutral. I played with it for a few minutes and found out that it if I put it in reverse and rev'd the gas the gear would eventually catch and then I would shift into D and continue driving normally until I came to a stop again. Then I would repeat the above procedure and continue home. Luckily only 5miles and four stops to home. So, I don't have the money to replace/rebuild the tranny yet, but I was talking to a gear head over the weekend and he asked if I put Mercon V in or something else. He said he put regular Dex/Merc in his ranger and it wouldn't pull out of his garage. So, I checked the half empty container that housed the fluid I fill my car with, and In fact I did put in Dex/Merc. He said he did a full flush and refilled with Mercon V and all was well. I am going to give this a shot because the story has merit, and If it works i will save a couple k. Has anybody else heard of this transmission being so fickle regarding fluid type, and does anybody have any similar experiences or wisdom to impart on my situation?
Here is how I flush my 94 AXODE tranny. Yup make sure you use a licensed Mercon-V fluid, for best results.
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/1440892-post104.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts