Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey. i wanna put some better speakers in my 2004 SES. the sound sucks compared to my 97 GL. and i already think a speaker is blown. at least thats what 3 people have said so far. i don't have the upgraded sound system, so i believe i only have 4 speakers. i need some suggestions on what kind of speakers i should buy for the front and back. some that don't cost alot of money, but provide some bass and overall to make the sound a lot better. i can't believe how bad it sounds compared to my 97. so give me brands and sizes and what they do. i will probably order them from Crutchfield, online, cause they have 15% off right now. so it would probably help if you went on the website and put my car in and see what fits, and than choose from what they have suggested. thanks.

edit - also keep in mind that my interior is all blue and black, so i want some that have some blue in them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
393 Posts
IIRC Kenwoods have blue in them
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here are a few from the crutchfield site..

Drop in a pair of Kenwood's KFC-5708C 5"x7" 2-way speakers, and your worn-out factory speakers will become a distant memory. Their potent sound rings out loud and clear, thanks to a rugged pearl mica injection-molded poly woofer and the responsive PEI (polyetherimide) balanced dome tweeter. The urethane surround reduces distortion and extends speaker life.

Key Features:
1-3/16" PEI balanced dome tweeter
pearl mica injection-molded poly woofer
urethane surround
recommended power range 2-35 watts RMS
140 watts peak power handling
frequency response 35-30,000 Hz
sensitivity 91 dB
depth 2-1/8"

Features

Woofers: The woofer cones are constructed of Strato Blue Pearl-Mica Injection-Molded Polypropylene. Uniform pearl mica crystals form an overlapping structure that adds strength and heat resistance to polypropylene, resulting in reduced distortion and improved reliability.

Surrounds: Each woofer uses a urethane surround. Urethane has very high internal loss, which reduces speaker cone distortion.

Tweeters: Each speaker has a 1-3/16" PEI balanced-dome tweeter. PEI (Poly-Ether Imide) is a polymer film that has ideal sound characteristics, making it perfect for use as a tweeter. A PEI balanced-dome tweeter produces a wide soundstage for superior imaging.


or..........


Pioneer's bold and blue TS-G6840R 6"x8" speakers lay down great sounds when you crank 'em up! These affordably-priced Pioneers feature beefy IMPP composite woofers that belt out satisfyingly deep bass. These speakers also have a true 6"x8" woofer cone that will bring on the bass better than speakers with smaller 5"x7" woofers. Warm and clear high-frequency response is a given, thanks to the metal film cone tweeters.

The combination of great sound and solid power handling makes these speakers a fine choice when you're ready to ditch the worn-out factory speakers in your ride. Grilles are not included. (Factory grilles are appropriate for most installations.)

Key Features:
injection-molded polypropylene (IMPP) composite woofer
1-1/2" PET silver film cone tweeter
frequency response 35-22,000 Hz
recommended power range 2-30 watts RMS
peak power handling 150 watts
sensitivity 92 dB
top-mount depth 2-3/8"
warranty: 1 year

Features

Injection-molded Polypropylene (IMPP) Composite Woofers: Each composite woofer is constructed from injection-molded polypropylene. This process of cone molding assures a uniform cone thickness for superior linearity and clarity. In addition, the cones are lightweight and rigid for decreased distortion and superior bass response.

Treated Cloth Surrounds: Each woofer uses a treated cloth surround for improved durability.

1-1/2" PET Silver Film Cone Tweeters: Each speaker features a 1-1/2" PET silver film cone tweeter for crisp, clear highs.


what are the speaker sizes for the front speakers???? these 2 are for the front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
i don't know nothing about speakers, but from what i see, i can buy 2 sets of the same speakers in the same size for my front and rear speakers, right?
That's right. As I know Taurus and Sable have the same sizes of speakers in the front and rear. It's 5x7 (or 6x8 - the same). So I think Infiniti Kappa 5x7 will be very good for you. Because I bough cheap speakers and they don't play more than I paid (30$ for pair of Profile).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by n0K3p@Jun 15 2004, 03:13 AM
i don't know nothing about speakers, but from what i see, i can buy 2 sets of the same speakers in the same size for my front and rear speakers, right?
That's right. As I know Taurus and Sable have the same sizes of speakers in the front and rear. It's 5x7 (or 6x8 - the same). So I think Infiniti Kappa 5x7 will be very good for you. Because I bough cheap speakers and they don't play more than I paid (30$ for pair of Profile).
so the 6x8's will fit too? do those have a lot more bass in them? what is better to get the 5x7's or 6x8's?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,578 Posts
Just get 2 sets of Infinity References. Get a set of three ways for the rear speakers (6x8's) and get a set of 5x7" components for the front. Go to a junkyard and find the tweeter pod for the newer style interior, and install that where the delete panel is next to the A pillar at the corner of the front windows. Use the enclosed crossovers to set them up. You'll need power and ground from the stereo, which goes into the xover and then it splits out to an output for the 5x7 and one for the tweeter. You can also specify the volume of your tweeter by using a different power output on the xover.

By the way, Sarah, I got the aluminum bezel yesterday. It was a little bent from shipping, but looked great overall. I'm going to straighten it out and (hopefully) install it next weekend...

JR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 15 2004, 01:19 PM
Just get 2 sets of Infinity References.  Get a set of three ways for the rear speakers (6x8's) and get a set of 5x7" components for the front.  Go to a junkyard and find the tweeter pod for the newer style interior, and install that where the delete panel is next to the A pillar at the corner of the front windows.  Use the enclosed crossovers to set them up.  You'll need power and ground from the stereo, which goes into the xover and then it splits out to an output for the 5x7 and one for the tweeter.  You can also specify the volume of your tweeter by using a different power output on the xover.

By the way, Sarah, I got the aluminum bezel yesterday.  It was a little bent from shipping, but looked great overall.  I'm going to straighten it out and (hopefully) install it next weekend...

JR
ahhh i'm sorry!!! i tried to pack it so it wouldn't bend and made them put a million do not bend stamps on it. i hope its not too bad. i'm sorry!

also will these work? $35 for a pair. i'd get two pairs and than $29 for shipping.
Item number: 5704448860 on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5704448860
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
also will these work? $35 for a pair.
I wouldn't say that it's a good value. I have a pair of Pioneers 5x7 120 w max for 50 $ (58 with shipping). And they don't play louder or better than my Profile 200 w max (30$ with shipping). So, I guess, there is a big difference between Profile and Infinity. Or Boston Acoustic. Or maybe Alpine. But Infinity cheaper.
And it's too much for your shipping. This site take very low for shipping and has lowest prices. I'd recommend it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
I like the Pioneer TS-A5713....I have 2 sets in my car atm and they sound pretty decent...oh you guys get them so cheap in the US. They are like 50USD on that website, I pay like 3 times as much.
But the only problem with my advice is I have never heard any others, since they don't bring any other brand of speakers in that size to Oz.
Still, I like pioneer
Julian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,578 Posts
I'm telling you, get the Infinity's!!!!

The bends aren't that bad. I just need to flatten them a little.

JR

**Edit** 300th Post!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
927 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Jun 15 2004, 12:31 AM
hey. i wanna put some better speakers in my 2004 SES. the sound sucks compared to my 97 GL. and i already think a speaker is blown. at least thats what 3 people have said so far. i don't have the upgraded sound system, so i believe i only have 4 speakers. i need some suggestions on what kind of speakers i should buy for the front and back. some that don't cost alot of money, but provide some bass and overall to make the sound a lot better. i can't believe how bad it sounds compared to my 97. so give me brands and sizes and what they do. i will probably order them from Crutchfield, online, cause they have 15% off right now. so it would probably help if you went on the website and put my car in and see what fits, and than choose from what they have suggested. thanks.

edit - also keep in mind that my interior is all blue and black, so i want some that have some blue in them.
Take these things into consideration:
- What is your price range?
- What type of music do you like?
- How are you going to power them? (I'm assuming with the factory stereo)

Personally, if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about what color they are - because you aren't going to be able to see them unless you cut away the factory grills (not a good idea).

Crutchfield is a good place to order from. They will send you brackets and wiring harnesses to make the installation easier.

I would go to circuit city or best buy armed with a couple cd's you like and listen to some speakers. Ask them to use the cd player's internal amp and turn off any sound processing settings. Then it should be pretty easy to select the set that sound best to you.

If you narrow some of these things down, I, or lots of other people on here, can help you with your final selection. From what other people on here have mentioned, I would go with the Infinity Kappas (NOT references), but again, I don't know what price range you're looking at.

Parker
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by golovko@Jun 16 2004, 01:36 PM

Take these things into consideration:
- What is your price range?
- What type of music do you like?
- How are you going to power them? (I'm assuming with the factory stereo)

price range: no more than $50 for a set. only wanna spend like $100 or so for 2 pairs.

type of music i listen to: Techno... so some bass would be nice.

how am i gonna power them: just from the factory stereo
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,228 Posts
some cheapo pioneers or kenwoods from bestbuy will work fine....here's some links

bestbuy-pioneers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,228 Posts
polk suck for bass which she needs....she needs more a low end-mid range 2 way speaker...infinities are awesome pick them up if you find them cheap wenough sarah
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
661 Posts
TSA6870R...end of thread. They are a little higher than the $50.00 a set, but worth it. Stay away from any componet set unless you are going to put an amp on them, head unit power cannot drive componets for crap. Stay away from anything in the Pioneer line that starts with TSG, those are entry level. Go for the 6x8's over the 5x7's, more cone space means more music.

Edit: I too listen to a lot of House, Trance and Techno music, so I can vouch for that type of music and the 6870R's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
927 Posts
Originally posted by Tman@Jun 16 2004, 07:21 PM
polk suck for bass which she needs....she needs more a low end-mid range 2 way speaker...infinities are awesome pick them up if you find them cheap wenough sarah
I forgot to take into acount what type of music she likes when I was looking at those...but I don't think there's going to be a huge difference in the amount of bass you're gonna get when using stock power.

I agree with you Tman tho, get the infinitys if you can afford them (I've heard kappas and they sound decent). I haven't actually heard any of the speakers in this category/price range so I can't really vouch for any of them.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top