Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was woundering how to take apart my music and climate control peice in the center of the car, i want to take it out and look at everything.
thanks.
the car is a 97 taurus lx

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
does the faceplate black in my case pop off or do i need to take out some screws or what?? im not sure.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
go to your auto parts store, buy fork "keys" (ford radio removal tools), not more than $5.00. Stick the keys into the holes slowly till they click, press outward on each and pull out. the radio should come out with the keys.

Id highly reccomend that you buy a haynes manual for refrence. it will tell you how to dissasemble this stuff.

Brad

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I have the keys and couldn't get the radio out of my '04 and tried using "other" objects in my '01 wagon when I had it and neither simply pulled right out. I haven't had a chance to look into it on my car as to why it won't come out but I'll figure it out.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I always push the keys toward each other.

Here are a couple of pics that may help. This is the side of the radio unit, installed in the dash piece (the dash piece is out of the car obviously). The radio is face down. The top of the radio unit is on the left side of the pic. That black metal clip is the thing that's holding the radio in.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Here is a pic with the key in.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have also had good luck using allen wrenches, instead of keys. Really, anything will work if it's the right diameter andf long enough. You want something that just barely fits into the hole. Coathangers don't work all too well, because they are too small in diameter. If you put a few small kinks in it, and play around you'll probably get a hanger to work though.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
16d framing nails work fine for me. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts