Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, we have two 2001 Taurus cars. One is an LX, and the other is a SE. The LX used to be a dealer gopher car and it has never had a problem with the rain water getting into the passenger side foot well. The SE however has had water leak into the passenger side and soak the carpet several times over the years. We have changed out the blower motor a couple of times over the years and it appears we may have to do it again. I wrestled with the rain hat extension and that helped a little, but we still got water into the passenger compartment. I finally gave up and got a piece of high temp rubber (4 inch x 36 inch x 1/16th) and covered the entire left side(passenger side) underneath the cowl, so that nothing would get in to cabin filter & leak down through the blower motor. I tucked one edge under the bottom of the windshield with the other side going past the of the well to the edge of the engine bay. We just had a big rain and the floor is wet again. It is not as wet as it has been in the past, but I can't understand how any rain could be getting in??? In reviewing the previous posts on this problem, it is mentioned that we have to remove the dash because the rain might be coming down through a leak in the firewall?? Is this true? And is there an easier way to fix this without removing the entire dash? I cannot see ANY difference between the LX (former dealer car which doesn't leak) and the SE (which does leak) which would indicate what the dealer did to fix any problem with a leak on the LX so that doesn't help. Now I wonder if maybe the water IS getting in through the firewall-- but if so, why the problems with the blower motor getting wet. Thanks in advance to all who help.

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Silicon around the outside of the a/c drain coming out of the firewall. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks durasel. Is that where the leak through the firewall is that is mentioned? Does that work so that we don't have to remove the dash?

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Yup, that's the place.
The repair worked for myself and a lot of other members. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I put the silicone around the piece inside the passenger compartment (under the carpet, shown in the 1st picture) Or around the a/c drain hose inside the engine compartment (shown in 2nd picture)? I don't suppose you could post a picture of the completed repair? That would be very helpful!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Did mine and 5 other friend's cars on the engine firewall side.
Sorry, don't have any pics!! :)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody! It sounds like if I get the right silicone, around the a/c vent as it comes into the engine compartment, that doing so will stop the water from getting into the cabin floor. - And I won't have to remove the dash... Am I getting this right? I have no problem doing so if this works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts