Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Vulcan SES Sedan

I need new struts on the rear of this car and I'd like to go ahead and do the upper mounts while I'm at it. I happen already to have a set of new coil springs. I'm trying to decide whether to go with Monroe Quick Struts or to buy a new strut assembly and mount and a spring compressor tool.

I'm totally new to strut work, so can you help me with the part numbers so I can make a comparison?

As far as I can tell:

The complete Quick Strut is 171616 ($107.79 on RockAuto)
The Sensa Trac strut assembly alone is simply 71616 ($49.79).

But I can't figure out what I'd need for the mount. Rock Auto has Monroe part 901954 for $11.66 notated as "Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Package" or for $21.79 as "Regular Inventory."

So does this mean, if I already have the springs, I can change the struts for just $49.79 + $11.66 = $61.45 each? (Plus the spring compressor I'll probably buy.)

Is there anything else I need? And do I have compatible parts listed above?

Oh, and I saw there was a $60 off 2 or $150 off 4 Quick Struts rebate in May, but it's looking like that's dead. Anybody know otherwise?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
MONROE Part # 901954 are rear strut mounts.
MONROE Part # 902944 priced at $32.79 are for the front.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (sfontain @ Jun 5 2010, 11:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809573
The complete Quick Strut is 171616 ($107.79 on RockAuto)
The Sensa Trac strut assembly alone is simply 71616 ($49.79).

But I can't figure out what I'd need for the mount. Rock Auto has Monroe part 901954 for $11.66 notated as "Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Package" or for $21.79 as "Regular Inventory."

So does this mean, if I already have the springs, I can change the struts for just $49.79 + $11.66 = $61.45 each? (Plus the spring compressor I'll probably buy.)

Is there anything else I need? And do I have compatible parts listed above?

Oh, and I saw there was a $60 off 2 or $150 off 4 Quick Struts rebate in May, but it's looking like that's dead. Anybody know otherwise?

Thank you!![/b]
Yes, $11.66 for the rear mounts and $49.79 for the rear Sensa-Tracs. It is recommded that you get Monroe Park No: AK50 which are rear pinch bolts in case they break or get stuck.

You can also try using the TCCA discount code.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! I got the struts for $50 each, the mounts for $11 each, minus 5% on the whole thing, plus the a-hole shop that changed my springs replaced the pinch bolts so they're virtually brand new. I got a nice spring compressor for my tool collection, and I'm still in for ~$60 less than a pair of QuickStruts. Thanks so much for the help!

One more question for you who've performed this operation before: Is it harder to do change out struts on the front than in the rear? If so, what's the big difference(s)?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
With air tools, I would say that the rear is easier assuming the pinch bolt comes out easier. Up front, you have to drop the side of the subframe you are working on. The rear just requires getting under the rear parcel shelf carpet to remove the 3 bolts there, and the pinch bolt.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jun 6 2010, 01:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809851
With air tools, I would say that the rear is easier assuming the pinch bolt comes out easier. Up front, you have to drop the side of the subframe you are working on. The rear just requires getting under the rear parcel shelf carpet to remove the 3 bolts there, and the pinch bolt.[/b]
I have only a compressor and I assume you're talking about an impact wrench? You're at least the second person I've seen who mentioned air tools making the job a lot easier. You mean just because it helps to get everything apart? I'm not opposed to buying an impact wrench with the money saved on doing the fronts myself if it's a reasonable job for my skill level.

The front is the same setup though, yes? Pinch bolt and everything...?

I got the rear seat out of the car and the rear deck shelf out already in ~15 minutes. I'm just gonna leave it like that until next weekend when the parts have arrived. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I put a head unit in and speakers in back there 5 years ago and remember the experience vividly. :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I've never replaced the Gen 4. On the Gen 2, the rear is more of a pain in the ass since we had to removed the rear seat and a few other crap then climb into the trunk.

The front, in my opinion, is much easier, it helps to have a 2nd hand to help catch the strut assembly. It took about half an hour. The rear took about 1.5 hour including a lunch break...lol.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (sfontain @ Jun 6 2010, 01:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809852
I have only a compressor and I assume you're talking about an impact wrench? You're at least the second person I've seen who mentioned air tools making the job a lot easier. You mean just because it helps to get everything apart? I'm not opposed to buying an impact wrench with the money saved on doing the fronts myself if it's a reasonable job for my skill level.

The front is the same setup though, yes? Pinch bolt and everything...?

I got the rear seat out of the car and the rear deck shelf out already in ~15 minutes. I'm just gonna leave it like that until next weekend when the parts have arrived. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I put a head unit in and speakers in back there 5 years ago and remember the experience vividly. :)[/b]
Sorry yea, impact wrench, etc. Instead of sitting there with a ratchet it is so much nicer and faster. Also helps when removing bolts, as they are jostled around a bit. Makes it less likely for the head of a bolt to snap off (or maybe that is a BS claim, but from reading articles on net it made some sense....).

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58620 From that thread, the fronts are more involved, but still doable.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent, thanks to you both. I'll see how this rear job goes next week and if it's smooth enough I'll probably tackle all 4 corners on my '04 at some point in the next year or two with QuickStruts. I've never dropped the subframe and that's slightly scary but it doesn't appear to be an insane job.

I tend to agree that the front seems like a much bigger pain in the ass due to the subframe issue. For the rears, getting the back seat apart would take someone experienced 10 minutes if that. Thanks!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The fronts are not that hard to do. Everybody on here talks like disconnecting your half shafts from the hub and dropping the ball joint stud is a holy terror, but I borrowed the proper front-end tool kits from Advance Auto, and it was not hard at all. I would much rather leave my sub-frame right where it is, thank you. When I changed out with quick struts on the front of my Rosemist GL, I did new hubs (one was on it's way out), sway bar links, and outer tie rod ends all at the same time. Came out great, and no messing around with lowering my front sub-frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts