Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

My 1998 Taurus with Vulcan engine has set a code of 401 (I think) I took it some time ago to my mechanic and I remember he said it was 'insufficient EGR flow', so he cleaned the EGR valve and tubes. Light went out for about 20 minutes and came back on with same code. He said it could be several things but didn't want to just start replacing things. So I have lived with this light on for over a year. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Sensor maybe? Thanks for any ideas. My Taurus just turned 100,000 miles and I'm going to do lots of preventive maintence. This has been a very reliable car, though.

B

·
0 Posts
I believe it has to do with the DPFE sensor. I've never had the problem, but others here have and will shed some more light on it I'm sure.

Welcome to the TCCA!

M

·
0 Posts
Wow, you have the same exact problem that i did...and i can guarantee you that once you replace whatever's wrong, that the SES, light will come back on, but with a different code. Mine, was the same thing, the EGR valve, i replaced it, and the senor. But before you go doing that, make sure that all the carbon is cleaned out, and give it another run. If it comes back, replace the EGR valve and it's senor. After that happened, the light came back on, but this time with another code. I honestly don't think that i remember what it was either. But after i fixed whatever it was, the light hasn't been since. And make sure that you've had your 100k service done to your car too, that's very important. in my honest opinion, start replacing whatever the cars telling you to do, the car will last longer, don't hold off on anything. Trust me, the 98's are good years (i have one) and my mileage (160K) shows you how many more you can have if you treat it right!!

Good Luck and WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I got the same code about 2 years ago. There was a recall on some cars and it included the DPFEsensor. I wasalso getting a SES code 401 and I replaced the EGR valve first and after a couple days the code came back. Next I replaced the DPFE sensor and it has been fine since. Also, since this is an emissions device it is covered under the 8yr/80k warranty I believe, same as catalyitc converters.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Jan 8 2004, 06:03 PM
I believe it has to do with the DPFE sensor.
Ditto.

Replace the DPFE sensor and in all liklihood your problem will be solved. Very simple to do. Removal entails taking out two screws and disconnecting two small hoses and an electrical connector. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Costs about 50 bucks or so at a parts store. Also called a "EGR Pressure Valve" or something similar. Looks like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
oo ur motor looks pretty dirty...

yup p0401. change that DPFE sensor... PERIOD.

before that. check that ur EGR valve is ok.
with the motor idling.. pull the vacuum line that connects from the top of the egr valve to the Solenoid.

then apply some vacuum on the egr vavle.. or simple suck on that tube...

the motor should almost die out, stop sucking..
and should idle normally..... means ur egr is opening & closing..

·
Registered
222 Posts
the duty cycle solenoid valve may also cause this problem, or a vacuum leak from the manifold to the solenoid and then from it to the EGR valve, just check to make sure vacuum lines are in good shape. As stated above its most likely the PDFE. I think if you took it into a shop there would be a good chance they would hit you up for both parts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for your advice, especially the picture and desciption of the DPFE sensor. I've read where Ford trucks had problems with this same sensor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Before replacing ANYTHING, do as sundarpn suggested and perform the simple test outlined.

It can save you a lot of money.

This whole system can be properly tested and diagnosed to lead to the proper repair. While each of the parts suggested for replacement might be the cause of the error, only a logical diagostic procedure will lead you to the correct component without resorting to guessing.

Steve

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
ya follow my procedure..

there is a procedure to test the vacuum solenoid too..
Remove the EVR solenoid.

Attempt to lightly blow air into the EVR solenoid.

If air blows through the solenoid, replace the solenoid with a new one.

If air does not pass freely through the solenoid, continue with the test.

Apply battery voltage (approximately 12 volts) and a ground to the EVR solenoid electrical terminals. Attempt to lightly blow air, once again, through the solenoid.

If air does not pass through the solenoid, replace the solenoid with a new one.

If air does not flow through the solenoid, the solenoid is OK.

If the solenoid is functional but the problem still exists, check the power and ground circuits.

for testing the EGR valve

Using a hand-held vacuum pump (or suck on the hose), slowly apply 5-10 in. Hg (17-34 kPa) of vacuum to the EGR valve nipple.

If the idle speed drops more than 100 rpm with the vacuum applied and returns to normal after the vacuum is removed, the EGR valve is OK.

If the idle speed does not drop more than 100 rpm with the vacuum applied and return to normal after the vacuum is removed, inspect the EGR valve for a blockage; clean it if a blockage is found. Replace the EGR valve if no blockage is found, or if cleaning the valve does not remedy the malfunction.

·
Registered
550 Posts
ALL Fords have DPFE problems... tha's why Ford issued a recall that stateswhenever a 2k. model year vehicle triggers a P0401 we( The Ford dealer Technicians) automatically replace the DPFE sensor w/out ANY extra Diag.
99% of the time this will fix the problem for good! Also have them update the PCM programing if neede... it'll help in the long run! Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by miltster98@Jan 9 2004, 09:11 AM
I've read where Ford trucks had problems with this same sensor.
All the time. Take a look:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthre...threadid=115627

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthre...threadid=143521

But I would have to defer to Steve (projectSHO89) on this one ...you should indeed check the EGR system thoroughly first. You can use the methods posted in this thread or if you follow the links I posted there are some references & links to other testing methods.

Good luck!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Oh yes... the recall only applies to 2k. model yr. & newer... not the older ones! Same fix though. The new DPFE sensor may look a little diff. Re-designed!

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
From what I have read moisture gets into the DPFE sensor causing it to fail, if there is still moisture in the lines the new sensor may even fail. I have the code for DPFE on as well, have any of you heard of the moisture problem? Would it explain my sparatic gas mileage? (10-15mpg on Duratec, then other times 25mpg). Also is the sensor in the vulcan the same as the one used on the duratec? If it is i think I am going to raid my salvage yards vulcans...The one in the duratec is a pain in the @$$ to get to. Also if my check engine light comes on because of the sensor...i simply put 89 octain in the car and the light goes away...theres another weird one for ya.

Anywhoo.....
~Chris

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I changed the DPFE sensor in my 2000 Duratec in literally 5 minutes. You just need skinny arms to reach behind the plenum.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I went through this problem adn did all the replcaemetns listed but you still need to check the EGR ports behind teh throttle body. Mine were plugged solid with carbon. Just remove the throttle body and you can see the ports, I cleaned mine with a srewdriver adn some carb cleaner. Make sure you replace the $2 gasket.

Haven't had any more problems

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Jan 9 2004, 12:08 PM
can I periodically clean the DPFE? using say wd-40 into those two holes...
Nope.

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts