Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Ford Taurus with the Flex fuel 3.0 V6, has 36,000 miles.

While cornering and accelerating onto the freeway, check engine light came on. Had the code read out at the auto parts store. P0191, fuel rail pressure sensor performance. The car runs the same, no misfiring or anything.

Tommorow I will disconnect the battery cable to see if the code was intermittent. If the code is still there, where can I find info on troubleshooting this? Is this a common problem? We would like to be informed before/if we go to the dealer.
Is it more likely that the fuel pressure was actually out of the expected range, or is it more likely that the sensor itself is malfunctioning?

The fuel filter is due to be changed too.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
My bet would be the filter is clogged.

From the Ford DVD...
P0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Performance (FRP)  The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the FRP pressure for acceptable fuel pressure. The test fails when the fuel pressure falls below or exceeds a minimum/maximum calibrated value for a calibrated period of time.  High fuel pressure.
Low fuel pressure.
Damaged FRP sensor.
Excessive resistance in circuit.
Low or no fuel.
A FRP PID value during KOER of 138 kpa (20 psi) and 413 kpa (60 psi) for gasoline or 586 kpa (85 psi) and 725 kpa (105 psi) for natural gas vehicles (NG) is acceptable. 

1 - 2 of 2 Posts