Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.....

I posted before about my 2001 sable 24 value car, the shop said it had a blown head gasket, but it doesn't act like a blown head gasket, as it don't smoke and I can repeat, the missing like clock work.

I did get a new ford coil pack, plugs and wires, PVC value, and intake gasket set, and waiting on getting a new TP sensor as well, I'll be changing all this stuff out soon, I hope this stuff will fix the missing.

What it's doing is under heavy loads it misses, at idle in park it runs very good, put it in gear it starts missing at a little bit, put the AC or heater on it gets much worst, if I hit the gas fair hard it stops.

If I'm starting up a hill with the RPM's under 2k and push on the gas, it starts bucking till I let off and the RPM's go above 2k, then it runs great again and if the RPM's at above 2k it runs great.

So I take my car for a ride and left it miss and buck with AC on, I noticed that while going uphill bucking, it shifted it's self, and the RPM's went above 2k and it stop bucking.

Next thing I did is keep it in gear with the break on, and give it just a little more gas, it did miss more so after this stuff I hooked up my ODB2 scanner, to my car and laptop to get some readings and see if it had any codes.

It had a pending code: P0300* ( Random/Multiple cyliner misfire detected ), it showed no other codes, but I did take note of a few things I thought was kind of odd, while I had the car running on the scanner.

I noticed that the Absolute Throttle Position stay at 20, if I push on the gas and keep the RPM's higher it went up after a bit, if I hit the gas and left off really fast it didn't even move.

It was like there was a bit of a delay and if the gas was hit and left off fast, it didn't even move up at all like the other stuff did, it seemed odd to me but then again I'm new to this scanner stuff.

Is this normal, or could this be a bad TP sensor ???

Thanks!!! Tim

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^+1

Realize, however, that a very quick jab of the throttle may not show the TPS % change due to the data transfer rate from the PCM to the scan tool. You can increase the data rate by selecting just 1 or 2 PIDs to be displayed instead of, say 20. I would drive the car with the scan tool connected and have a helper observe the scan tool. Does your scan tool do graphing? If so, use graph mode while driving and see of you get spikes / dropouts.

TPS showing 20% at closed throttle is a little high. Usually it is in the range of 15% to 17%.

The shop that diagnosed this as a HG issue is WAY off base, IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It can do graphs but for some reason I'm unable to get it to work, I will try speeding it up some, but I noticed other readings from other things worked right away, like it showed clearly the RPM's raising up with a jab.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
If it were me, I would just replace the TPS and see if that fixes the issue. Super easy to do, and not too much $$.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff you are right I'll go get one at advance auto, and change it out and see if problem goes away or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed it out and it still has the same problem, when I went to get the TPS, I had a chance to gun the gas all the way to the floor.

It responded right away and went up to 80 mph really fast, so there was no loss of power at all, this tells me the fuel pump is good and it only has to do with lower RPM's.

I also noticed to after putting the TPS on it and testing it, I noticed when I put it into gear, and/or turn on the AC to test it, the lights dimmed a little while it was missing.

Is that normal to have the lights dim some, while it missing ???

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
While you are at it, unplug Mass Air Flow sensor, remove with a security 20 torx head screwdriver tip, spray with CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Do not touch the small wires, just clean them. This will cause the loss of power under load as well. It is the first sensor in the line !!
I was having some strange bucking and shifting between 3&4 under load. Cleaned the MAF and it is all good. Never hurts to cover the simple ones.
Be well, stan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cleaned that already here is what I've done already, and it has not help at all......

I cleaned MAS, TB, IAC, changed air filter, fuel filter, run fuel injector cleaner through it 2 times, fixed 2 vacuum leaks, and the one hose that was crushed, none of it help the problem as there was no change.

Next up I will be changing, coil pack, spark plugs and wires, PCV value, and put new intake gasket set on it, I'll be looking very closely at the old plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts