Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it all started when i purchased the Midland CB radio that Jason was talking about. I bought a cheapo 10 dollar antenna to go with it and rigged it all up in my car. I wired the cb into my existing fog light wires. The hot runs directly to the battery pretty much(Its on that master fuse thing in the engine bay), and the ground is on a piece of metal/unibody inside the engine bay. Before i wired it this way, i had it wired through the cigarette lighter. I got engine noise/alternator whine/fuel pump whine/power window whine and anything else you can think of through my cb.

With my new wiring method that i first stated, i STILL got all the whining from the electronics. Thinking the CB was defective, i returned it and bought a Cobra DX 13, or something like that. I know its a cobra. Anyway, i wired it through the fog light wiring again, and bought a decent antenna from radio shack (Its huge). I still get all the whining. Any suggestions on how to fix this? :???:

BTW, it might be worth noting that with the original Midland radio, i put the hot wire right on the battery and grounded it good just to make sure it wasnt my connections. Still got all the noise. I dont know how i could wire it any better than on hte battery. :confused: Any help, please?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not being totally well versed in the electrics in this car (but being an Electronics Engineer!) I'd recommend powering the CB from the same 12V supply as the radio. I am assuming that the radio supply will be well filtered.
The noise you're getting can be filtered out by using a 0.1uF capacitor from +12V to Ground at the CB end of the wiring coupled with an inline choke.

Hope this helps!

P.S: It beats me why there isn't any filtering incorporated in the CB's!!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise you're getting can be filtered out by using a 0.1uF capacitor from +12V to Ground at the CB end of the wiring coupled with an inline choke.
:huh:

What did you just say? :lol: I dont understand this techinical stuff, except the choke part. But i will relay all this stuff to my dad, he's a genius at this stuff. :thumb: Thanks alot for your help!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Reading your post again, if you're getting whine and noise though the cigarette lighter socket at all times it sounds like you maybe have some suppression capacitors gone bad.

Some people call these "condensers", as it's the old term for a capacitor.

If you don't get the whine through the radio, then try connecting the CB to the radio supply.
If you still get noise, then it's obvious that the radio has much better noise filtering than the CB.

·
Registered
292 Posts
'bout time you finally got that thing in the car B)
another thing that may be happening is a ground loop issue, run the power as you are right off the battery junction since there is a pretty beefy draw on the bigger cbs when you're transmitting, try running the ground for the cb to the same ground as the radio, and also take a piece of wire and ground the OUTER ring of the antenna connector as well and see what happens there

·
Registered
193 Posts
CB's have nill to none as far as noise filtering. It's really bad. You could also be picking up whine if there is a ground somewhere on your chassis that isn't making good contact.

Radio Shack sells ferrite noise chokes and stuff. Try this noise filter. It's a 10 amp inline noise filter. You cut your power wire and put this in the middle. I hate Radio Shack, but the one's at Wal-mart and such are even worse.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Try running it to a switch fuse in the fuse box like the wiper fuse. I did that to my grand am and got no wine.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Gor@Jun 17 2004, 09:11 AM
Reading your post again, if you're getting whine and noise though the cigarette lighter socket at all times it sounds like you maybe have some suppression capacitors gone bad.

Some people call these "condensers", as it's the old term for a capacitor.

If you don't get the whine through the radio, then try connecting the CB to the radio supply.
If you still get noise, then it's obvious that the radio has much better noise filtering than the CB.
I get noise reguardless of whether its plugged into the cig lighter or anywhere else.

·
Registered
292 Posts
how useless...haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts