Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just got a 86 MT5 from my bosses Parents that has sat for seven years and the car struggles to drive down the road. It misses,Bucks and hesitates Very badly.the other day i was able to drive it 50 miles but if i pushed the pedal more than halfway to the floor it would buck and miss badly but sometimes when i hold it to the floor it will buck a few times and Run great until i hit 3rd gear then it will start crapping out again.anyways after i drove it the 50 miles i figured i had fixed the probelm by replacing fuel filter and draining the tank and putting lucas and filling back up with ten gallons but it eventually came back and now the car barley moves or revs up. sometimes when the car is cold it will start up and run great but eventually will bog and won't rev barley at all PLEASE help this is an awesome car and i don't wanna really just give it away. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
You'll probably need to get some moisture remover and put in the tank. You'll also probably need to change the fuel filter a couple of more times. I would check to see that the alternator is charging correctly, and that you've got good solid connections at all the battery and ground attaching points. From there start checking the more common items like a tune-up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll probably need to get some moisture remover and put in the tank. You'll also probably need to change the fuel filter a couple of more times. I would check to see that the alternator is charging correctly, and that you've got good solid connections at all the battery and ground attaching points. From there start checking the more common items like a tune-up.
[/b]

i have put a couple bottles of heet in the tank so far i have put three tanks of gas in. it just doesn't make alot of sense to me that sometimes it will run really good then other times i can't even move it out of the driveway lol thanks for the response BTW. Also replaced plugs and all the plugs are getting sprark so wires must be ok. took off cap and rotor and they look pretty new.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Check fuel pressure, pull codes, check timing. Also just because the wires "look" good, doesn't mean that they aren't "breaking down" when they get current going through them. Look for arc scarring inside the cap, again, just because it "looks" good means nothing. Also check the TFI module, if it's got one, it'll be the little grey or black rectangular box on the side of the distributor. If it's black, get rid of it, those were problem right from the get go.

It could be that the damn thing just needs to be driven, hell, it's been sitting for what 7 years???

·
Registered
887 Posts
Instead of buying several bottles of Heet, go to your local Home Depot or hardware store and pick up denatured alcohol. You can buy it by the gallon, quart, whatever. Measure 16 ounces and put 16 ounces in your tank. Do not put more than 16 ounces per tank. It will run too hot for your car.

Some people will argue and say that you can dump an entire gallon in your car and it will eat up the water in your tank and burn it off and that your car will not run hot. I would not risk burning up my valves. In any case, denatured alcohol will help burn off the water and if you buy a larger quantity at a hardware store, it will be cheaper than making multiple trips to your Autozone or whatever and buying smaller quantities of Heet.

They say that the denatured alcohol will also clean your injectors, too.

If you are looking to clean your entire fuel system, Autozone has Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner 12 oz bottles free after rebate.

Also, if I were putting an old car back on the road, I would want to run some Seafoam through it at some point. I am partial to putting 1/2 in the fuel tank and 1/2 in the oil. After putting it in the oil, run it for a few minutes or make a short trip, then change the oil.

You might call these excessive precautions, I would call it being safe and trying to take care of a car that has been sitting a while.

I bought a car that had been sitting a while that was bucking and hesitating and ended up dropping the tank to find that it was rusted out and the fuel pump was shot. Linky to my crazy adventure: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=63047&hl=

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you know its weird i went to a couple different stores and tried pulling codes and on every test it said vehicle is not responding :dunno: I will check the fuel pressure soon and it doesn't look like theres a black box on the side of the distributor.I was thinking of dropping the tank but it didn't seem like it needed it.i will try some of that alcohol but as far as spark goes it has strong spark but its yellow not bluish white. ive ran the car for at least 3 hours and have drove it about 80 miles so far but the first few times i almost got stranded on the way back lol if i don't fix it soon i'll probably drop the tank for shi*s and giggles and see what it looks like. Also i noticed the whole fuel line is a hard rubber none of it is metal. is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
8,236 Posts
Check to be sure the O2 ground wire is connected. It is usually a orange wire grounded somewhere near the O2 sensor. Pretty common on older Fords fo the wire to corrode / break off the ground location, or for someone who removed it to repair something to forget to put it back. If the O2 ground is not connected on EEC IV, the PCM will not output codes.

Hard plastic fuel line is normal.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The only thing that running alcohol will do (bad) in a car is it will start to dry up all the seals for the fuel system if you use a TON.

Also, Alcohol is too hot for the engine?????? No.... The only thing its going to do is make the mixture lean, and even then the computer can correct for it.
Our "bashin" go kart we use for jumps and racing with a 8hp briggs ran a few summers on straight alcohol with no problems at all or any lost compression. Just had to turn out the idle needle a 1/8-1/4 turn and the highspeed about 1/2-3/4 turn

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The only thing that running alcohol will do (bad) in a car is it will start to dry up all the seals for the fuel system if you use a TON.

Also, Alcohol is too hot for the engine?????? No.... The only thing its going to do is make the mixture lean, and even then the computer can correct for it.
Our "bashin" go kart we use for jumps and racing with a 8hp briggs ran a few summers on straight alcohol with no problems at all or any lost compression. Just had to turn out the idle needle a 1/8-1/4 turn and the highspeed about 1/2-3/4 turn
[/b]
2nded. I ran my Vulcan on a 1/8 alcohol 7/8 Gas mix for the whole tank. Noticed no problems whatsoever. Filled it back up dumped my usually STP Fuel Treatment and shes running great.. cept for the tranny.. which i'm still working on

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
The fuel line is plastic, not rubber. It should be OK.

One thing I would do is to replace the fuel filter. If there is any rust or other solid matter in the fuel tank, it may be clogging the filter.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The fuel line is plastic, not rubber. It should be OK.

One thing I would do is to replace the fuel filter. If there is any rust or other solid matter in the fuel tank, it may be clogging the filter.
[/b]
The seals on the lines/injectors are rubber O-rings, that's usually where the problems start.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If you have any ability, PLEASE, post some pics of it! Exterior, interior, engine, everything! It's not often these 1986s surface so I for one am really interested in this car!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
One problem would be you might have rust and/or crud stuck in the injectors, I'm not sure if hooking it up to a injector cleaning machine would help, but I'd give it a try before replacing the injectors, but it may only be half of your problem with a car thats been idle for 7 years. Have you checked the fuel pressure? I would also take your gas tank off and clean it out, also when you pull out the pump clean that off and the replace the sock, too, before taking it in to the injector machine. If the gas tank is metal, you might have to replace it. If you have the 4cyl engine, you might want to also clean out the throttle body since they tend to build up crap in them before the Vulcans do. Have you completly flushed out the cooling system? The cooling system is probably full of corrosion from sitting that long. I would also change all the cooling hoses and belts before driving it any distance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One problem would be you might have rust and/or crud stuck in the injectors, I'm not sure if hooking it up to a injector cleaning machine would help, but I'd give it a try before replacing the injectors, but it may only be half of your problem with a car thats been idle for 7 years. Have you checked the fuel pressure? I would also take your gas tank off and clean it out, also when you pull out the pump clean that off and the replace the sock, too, before taking it in to the injector machine. If the gas tank is metal, you might have to replace it. If you have the 4cyl engine, you might want to also clean out the throttle body since they tend to build up crap in them before the Vulcans do. Have you completly flushed out the cooling system? The cooling system is probably full of corrosion from sitting that long. I would also change all the cooling hoses and belts before driving it any distance.
[/b]
the antifreeze looks good. i already cleaned out the throttle body and replaced the fuel filter.you may be right about the injector i was thinking it might be clogged also i will probably end up dropping the tank soon just to see what it looks like.i'll try and get pictures soon.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Check the fuel pressure. The runs good then can't rev sounds like a shot fuel pump.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts