Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 99 LX for my daughter.

I want to buy an entry level am/fm cd player that I can just buy the adapter faceplate and hook up myself.

I want something that has about 40- 50 watts per channel for future speaker upgrades and maybe later I can add an amp and sub to.

I just need something easy to install that doesn't sound like junk.

I would have just put the one out of the 94 she wrecked but now it won't play cds

I don't want to start a debate just some honest opinions

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
I installed my own CD receiver, as I'm sure many other members have...and I found that Crutchfield offered the best service for self-installation. The reason being that they supply you with nearly everything you need to install a head unit, and their prices are mostly reasonable, although sometimes high. I would suggest shopping there for one, but 40-50w RMS x 4 Channels is pretty high IMO...unless you don't mean RMS...

Take it or leave it, it's there. :]

·
Registered
746 Posts
what is your budget here? if you want a really entry HU then you could check best buy or circuit city. but honestly, we can find you something much better and cheaper online. just tell us how much you are looking to spend, and we can tell you where all to look

·
Registered
157 Posts
I usually get my stuff from Sound Domain. They're a lot cheaper than Crutchfield for most things (like headunits and amps) and have about the same selection. Another place you could try is Online Car Stereo. They have good prices on speakers and subs. And when all else fails, there's always eBay

As for a good headunit, I usually recommend Pioneer. I have one in my Mustang, and I'm going to put one in my Taurus soon. They seem to have the most bang for your buck IMO. Power is 22W RMS and 50W peak per channel. Check out some of the stats on them and go into Best Buy or Circuit City and play with them to see what you think.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts

I recommend Pioneer also. Crutchfield is great if convience is more important than cost. Their prices are higher than others, but they include everything you need, and have excellent technical support and customer service. You will need to purchase the Scosche or Metra install kit. (Scosche looks better IMO)

The entry level Pioneers are simple, sound good, and priced low.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts