Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am near completing a dash swap and floor shift conversion when I ran into a problem. I have a 99 Taurus with manual climate control a column shift. I am trying to restore it and add a floor shift. I removed a dash from a 96 Sable. It had all the options I wanted, auto lamps, manual climate control, lighted glove box, foot well lights, and it was made for a floor shift.

I went to swap the dash and looked at the screw on connectors and noticed one was different. The 96 sable dash has a larger white screw on connector and the 99 Taurus dash as a brown screw on connector. The original screw on connectors in my car are brown and gray and appear to be around the same size. In the 96 Sable the connectors are a large white screw on plug and a gray screw on plug. Is there a way I can change a 96 Sable white large connector to match the one in my 99 Taurus which is brown .

Does anyone know what plugs into under the steering wheel in the pic it a small black connector. In the other pic there is a medium white plug I don't know what plugs into it and it is close to the large white plug.

The other question or problem i have is the connector for the floor shiftier / light wiring. When i removed the plug i had no way of removing the power drivers seat to try to trace the wiring just sniped it. Does this wiring plug in to any thing other that the shifter
to another plug or is it spliced in to the wiring harness under the front seats

Does anyone know where to purchase a floor pan for a gen 3 Taurus. Noticed it was bad looking on driver side when I removed the carpet, I went to the junkyard and all of the floor pans are bad, either the drivers front or front passenger.

Sorry if there are problems whit the pics never posted pics on here before.

If i need anything I am going to the junkyard this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
You're in uncharted territory here. I believe the connectors are different because Ford revised how things were wired after 97 (which you're seeing here). You're going to have to get wiring diagrams for the circuits for both cars, and then depin the sable's wiring from the plugs and install a plug from your 99 dash so it can hook up properly. Alternatively you could pull the junction box and GEM from the 96. That will allow the dash to hook up properly. But then the wiring from the firewall and doors probably won't connect anymore. Either way you'll have to do some depinning and figure out which wire goes where on the junction box. As for the black connector I'm not sure what that's for. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Also, I don't think you can actually buy the floor pans as a part because they're welded in and part of the tub of the vehicle. You'll have to get creative. Get some sheet steel from somewhere, cut and measure, and use some epoxy like JB Weld to put it in if you don't have a welder or welding skills.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The doors I removed the wiring harnesses in them last year and replaced them with wiring from a 96 Taurus or Sable doors. I wanted to have lighted front door panels, everything on / in the front doors work.

Does anyone know what the screw on(in) connectors are called on the driver side portion of the dash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
sheila
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing