cooling system flushed radiator shop did it
new water pump
heater core
head gaskets new both sides
thermostat and gasket
over flow jug plus cap

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE CAR:
hi pressure in system enough to blow cap off over flow jug
Start it cold, put it in drive and press the brake as hard as possible while pressing on the gas, bring is past 2000RPM for a bit while standing on the brake, you don't want to move while doing this. Shut the car off and open the coolant tank, if the car was cold and it blows the cap off, you still have head issues. Any form of cold pressurization is very bad. Just so we can recap, both heads were fully tested right?

If it doesn't pressurize cold then it could be a failed cooling system component, I always say it's a good idea to either have it tested or look at it really close yourself (the cooling system) seeing as the head might blow from whatever issue again. You should at least take the car for a cooling system flush when you do a headjob yourself.

What caused the original engine to fail before you changed it?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was do to a bad head gasket on the motor i installed i was down 3 hrs south from my home it over heated started spark knocking then Quit (motor died)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did a compression test found out i cracked a head and i only had 13lbs in one cyl

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
I noticed you replaced a water pump, mine is bad also, are they hard to change? I don't want to pay someione an exorbitant bill if it's something I can do myself.
I have a Chilton manual and my own tools. are there any hoses involved in switiching and about how long does it take/ I have no garage so I was wondering how long in the cold air I will need to be!!

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
And what name and type of thermostat did you put in ??

Monsoon

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tonight when i cooled down and got a clear head a buddie and i went over to the taurus and put antifreeze back in her and let her run we all so did a compression test to one bank these are the out comes

compression results
100 110 100

and the antifreeze results are
we filled it to the full mark then we let the car warm up then we ran the car at 2500 rpm for 10 min simulating going down the interstate there was some pressure in the over flow jug and it was sounding like it was over heating (bubbling noise) i am thinking about changing over the radiator how hard is it to do

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Anything below 120 psi is not good. Which may explain why your reservoir is blowing its top. When the engine cools down perform a coolant pressure test and start looking for leaks. If the gauge on the tester is dropping and you see no leaks the coolant may be leaking within the cylinders or block - check the dip stick for coolant.

As far as a thermostat you'd be better off with a Motorcraft. Many people on this forum have tired different thermostats only to fine the OEM the best to use. Just my 2¢.

Monsoon

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the dip stick is clean well free of antifreeze all so that will be my 3rd thermostat i have changed out with in the last month

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Tonight when i cooled down and got a clear head a buddie and i went over to the taurus and put antifreeze back in her and let her run we all so did a compression test to one bank these are the out comes

compression results
100 110 100

and the antifreeze results are
we filled it to the full mark then we let the car warm up then we ran the car at 2500 rpm for 10 min simulating going down the interstate there was some pressure in the over flow jug and it was sounding like it was over heating (bubbling noise) i am thinking about changing over the radiator how hard is it to do
It could be a rad, but I'm thinking you still have head issues somehow. I would guess that the exhaust is getting into the cooling system from some leak. The compression is fairly low across the board, did you check the cylinder walls and check them with spec? You should probably get a leak down test done.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It could be a rad, but I'm thinking you still have head issues somehow. I would guess that the exhaust is getting into the cooling system from some leak. The compression is fairly low across the board, did you check the cylinder walls and check them with spec? You should probably get a leak down test done.

i look into getting a leak down test done but at this time i am looking may be to get read of the thing i LOVE TAURUSES but i have nothing but trouble with this one

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Depends how you did your compression test as well.

1) You should have all your spark plugs removed.
2) Your throttle plates needs to be at the wide open position
3) Crank engine until highest reading is attained

Monsoon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts