Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an oil leak for years in the 2002 Duratec. Have to add a quart every 500-1000 miles. Not getting worse. Bought used 5 yrs ago so no history before except was former fleet or rental. No apparent accident damage. Seems most oily beneath the alternator. Also some oil drops on bottom of Power Steering pump. Rarely need to add any PS fluid.

Where is the leak? Oil pan, Front cover, somewhere else? Thanks.

Pictures are from :
Below car looking up at plastic shield protecting alternator, [1]
Passenger side with wheel removed looking at engine mount, connector to one of the O2 sensors [2] and [3], oil pan [4]
Below car looking up at power steering pump. [5]

The same blue connector to O2 sensor is in the first 4 pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue on a 2002 Duratec. Seams to be comming from around the oil pan. Car has 118,000 miles and has been a very good car.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
There almost seems to be a pattern with the oil and your cv boots. Other than that, check the valve covers on both sides of the engine, it looks like the oil might be well above the oil pan area from your pictures, so I'm not sure. I don't really know the layout of these motors. I would wipe down the oil pan with brake cleaner to start with, then take it for a drive and see if you get new runs down the side of it, it's too dirty to detect oil leaks. The pan looks like it's leaking a little, though. Does it drip on the ground much? If the oil pan was leaking more than a quart of oil every 1k, you would think there would be spotting on the driveway.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Anybody figure this one out yet? My 2002 Duratec has the same leak. I've replaced the oil pan gasket and both the valve cover gaskets to no avail.....Yeah, I've been over it with brake cleaner any number of times to try and find it....

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
On another Taurus website, someone had posted about the oil pressure sending unit leaking. I believe that is the cause of my leak as well...dripping onto the nice hot exhaust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2002 Taurus Duratec - Where is the oil pressure sending unit located?

Hi Guys, Alao have the same problem as you guys ate having with it using a lot of oil.

When I shut off the engine and you go outside of the car you can smell oil burning comming from the engine compartment and if I have the fan running bringing in air from the outside I can smell the oil burning smell inside the car. No visable oil on driveway and no smoke out the exhaust. .

Is it possible that I may have a leaking oil sending unit which is dripping on my exhaust causing this bad oil burning smell?

Question: Where is the oil presure sending unit located on the Duratec Engine?

Thanks, Frank

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Put it up on ramps and clean the soiled area's of buildup there's many non disturbing ways of doing this I take my ramps to the coin wash at 11:00 p.m. get somebody that knows what they're doing if you need to do the top or you could saturate the electrical. Then drive for a few hours put it back on ramps and find. Oil press sender is a good start look all around the alt. area there should be visible oil, also the rear upper seal of your oil pan next to torque convertor and crankshaft rear main seal, front main seal behind dampener, also RTV sealant on lower crank girdle to main block.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Front crank seal I'm noticing as a more common leak/weep point on DOHC. Esp if you've changed oil pan gasket and it's still getting wet in that area.

I've given up taken care of mine. Until it starts smoking bad it rolls.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,028 Posts
Front crank seal I'm noticing as a more common leak/weep point on DOHC. Esp if you've changed oil pan gasket and it's still getting wet in that area.

I've given up taken care of mine. Until it starts smoking bad it rolls.
Pretty sure that's where mine's leaking, since it slowed after I changed the pan gasket, but still smells like I'm a burning oil factory as I go down the road. Right above the exhaust, too. :(

What did a shop charge you to fix it the first time?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have four Duratec powered vehicles and they all leak, ALL. Lowest miles in 144k in an Escape then three Taurus cars ranging from 180k to 259k. I have changed the valve cover gaskets on all, pan on two, crank seal on one. But they all still leak. Really tough to find and on mine the oil appears to be more at the firewall then the radiator, so not likely the pressure sensor. Plus I don't have much oil build up there. Best of luck to you all on this, I am still fighting it daily.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,028 Posts
Mine has really slowed down, it's about a quart every few thousand miles, and it seems to be leaking even less now.

But it still doesn't stop the smell lol.

Currently run 5W-30 high mileage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2003 leaks the same. Mechanic says it's timing chain cover. $1500.00 to pull engine to change gasket! No thanks. Switched from 5W-20 synthetic, to 5W-30 regular oil, and clean engine once a year with Engine Brite. Been that way for 2 years now.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I quit caring about the leak on the 2000…not worth fixing. Great motor, too bad it likes to weep/leak. Just keep oil in it and roll.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe the leak forum members may be referring to is coming from the crankshaft sensor. Easy to remove with the oil pan dropped but you need to force it out causing it to break. Reinstalling the new one may require loosen the alternator to move it about .5"

There is almost no resistance on the o-ring, very loose fit after 14 years. My car is a 2000 SE with the Duratec

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts