Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about 8 months ago I had the A/C serviced and pressure tested. at that time, i was told that the A/C was in good working condition. the other day my wife was driving the taurus and the A/C just stopped working. Upon further investigation, I found that the compressor was not spinning. I spun the compressor slightly by hand and it doesn't seem to be binding or anything. as far as I can tell I think the clutch is in good shape. Personally, I think the compressor isn't getting power and it is a relay or fuse--at least that is where I'd like to start. The Chilton I have seems rather useless on telling me what fuse to check or where the applicable relays are located that send power to the A/C clutch coil.

Can anybody point me in the right direction of where the fuses/relays are located? Car is a 1994 Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan engine. --any help is greatly appreciated. --Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
unfortunately I do not have an owners manual with the car. i did search the topic finder but did not find the location of the fuses and relay

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
With ac set to on, unplug and jumper cycle switch plug (wire side) atop the accumulator on pass. firewall with paperclip bent u-shaped and see if compressor engages. If compressor starts, replace cycle switch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
With ac set to on, unplug and jumper cycle switch plug (wire side) atop the accumulator on pass. firewall with paperclip bent u-shaped and see if compressor engages. If compressor starts, replace cycle switch.
Unless, there is not enough refrigerant(pressure) in the system to make the contacts in the switch.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I would second switch jump. Also, have someone check it for refrigerant either way. The do-it-yourself cans aren't foolproof and are no substitute for a real set of gauges and someone who feels confident with refrigeration systems.

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
^ Yes, if system is empty, it needs to be checked for leaks, repaired, possibly flushed, pumped down and recharged.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you check hard enough I'm sure you can find a owners manual of your cars year. This will show you the fuse and relay location .;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts