Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a taurus lx 1997 DOHC Duratec v6- 200hp, i want to change that to 270hp, and want to know the mods that will help me get there.
any thoughts, ideas or anything would be apprecitated
thanks
jorsh

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much is "nos", how difficult will it be to install, how to i control its amount added to the engine to obtain the power i want,
on another note doesnt nos rapidly destroy youre engine???
any info would be great thanks
jorsh

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
NOS is a brand name, and since you asked about it, go here for tons of info. http://holley.com/nosnitrous/index.html

Off the top of my head, the main brands for nitrous are NOS(Nitrous Oxide Systems), Zex, Nitrous Express (NX), and Venom.

I usually see universal kits for fuel injected cars going for about $500-$600 brand new in catalogs. No, it will not destroy the engine if installed and ran properly. If you want to shell out another couple hundred bucks you can buy stuff that will control the spray of juice so you can safely spray at any RPM, the only one I can remember is the Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind.

G

·
Im sorry guys, but I think Nitrous is the worst thing made for a passenger car. Cause what Nitrous is, is an injection of a very combustible fluid when mixed with Oxygen. (Laughing Gas) It's does boost the performance of the vehicle, only cause it BLASTS when it reaches the combustion chambers. Well, lets just say... it's going to mess up the motor faster then if you ram a Turbo kit on there.

Just saying, I personally wouldn't do it. But if you like this stuff, try it. Let me know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I'm not a nitrous fan myself, but the SHO guys have been using Zex kits with good results.

On the SHO motors (V6 and V8), keeping it to a 75 or 85 shot appears to stay within the parameters of the EEC box.

As an example, on V8 SHOs, that kit will get them to near 14-flat on street tires, and down to about 13.80 on Nitto DRs. Tom Wallenhorst has a '93 ATX SHO, and I'm not sure what size shot he's runnng, but he has cracked into the 13.50s on Nitto DRs. He's definitely running an over 100 HP shot, biut I don't know all of the details.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
which is better for the bull, wet or dry???

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
which one should i use????????

6-Cylinder Engines

..Domestic and Imported 6-Cyl. Engines, Inline & Opposed,
..with OEM Fuel Injection or Carburetors
EXTRA HP SYSTEM ADJUSTABLE
50 to 150 HP Sportsman Fogger Yes

..Domestic 6-cyl. Engines, V-6,
..with 2-Barrel Carburetor
90 HP Powershot No

..Domestic 6-cyl. Engines, V-6,
..with 4-Barrel Carburetor
90 HP Powershot No
50 to 150+ HP Super Powershot Yes

..Domestic 6-Cyl. Engines, V-6, with OEM EFI
50 to 100 HP Wet Manifold Type System Yes
80 to 200 HP Wet Manifold System, 2-Stage Yes
Varies with App. Dry Manifold Type System No
90 to 150 HP Sportsman Fogger Yes
100 to 175 HP NOSzle Yes

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Domestic 6-Cyl. Engines, V-6, with OEM EFI
what does that mean = with OEM EFI
im looking at mikehawks link and thinking about the NOSzle setup, and it looks like it would work but i need forged pistions, do they have these for taurus'es

other wise i would like some more info on the zex kits since they appearantly work for the taurus,
just a reminder i do have a 3.0l taurus lx duratec,

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i looked at a zex site and it had nothing for the taurus, so what are they useing???

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Originally posted by jorsh@Apr 20 2004, 05:43 PM
which is better for the bull, wet or dry???
Dry.

Wet is better for manifolds that carry air/fuel mix.

Dry is better for air-only intakes as most port-injection systems.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
found one of the venom products for the taurus and am thinkin about doing it, what do i need to uprage for it??
such as where would i get forged pistions i belive it was, or do they have them fo rthe taurus??
does any one have this kit?? any insight would be helpfull
thank you
jorsh

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
do i need to do some transmision stuff then, i dont plan on useing the nos every day, it would be something i do time to time, so will the bull handle a 75 power shot or a little more every now and then without haveing to do any engine upgrades???
thanks jorsh

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am not a huge nitrous fan myself, I would tend to lean towards upgrades like a catback exhaust, American Motorsports chip, port and polish, Cold air intake, etc.

But if Nitrous is ur thing then go for it I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Why not do it all? You should definitely put in a tranny cooler though, nitrous or not. Our trannys have a bad habit of trying to cook themselves, especially with our spirited driving.

-mobiuslogic

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
k, where would i find or how would i be able to port and polish, and a tranny cooler??

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.