Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying to remove the AC Compressor in my sister's 99 SE to replace it with a bypass pulley. There are too many issues with the A/C system, and she would rather circumvent it because the compressor has been binding and burning the belt. Anyway, there are 4 bolts holding the compressor in. These are little 10mm bolts that probably have no business being used for this purpose and they have been rounded off. Is there any trick to getting these out? Is it possible to remove the bracket that the compressor sits on without removing the compressor? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
If I was deleting the compressor, I would see about grinding/cutting the heads of the bolts off.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Make sure you are using six point sockets or wrenches to remove bolts. There are a lot of tools to remove rounded bolts heads, google them on line.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Define too many issues?
To get it working again would be a new compressor and receiver/dryer.
Would be around $300~ In Motorcraft parts
The bypass pulley or belt is dependant on what engine you have? Vulcan or Duratec
If Vulcan, This video should help you get it out. If a 6 point socket still won't shift the bolts, there are special easy out stripped bolt sockets available.
Ford Taurus 3.0l 12v A/C Compressor Removal - YouTube

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you ever get it off? The top left bolt is stripped on mine. And there is absolutely no room to fit a 1/4 socket wrench and a stripped screw socket in there. Why these "engineers" designed this so that you had to break a 10mm bolt with only a 1/4 socket wrench or a ratchette wrench is beyond me. Smh. Mine is a 24v by the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts