Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the topics on this forum and thanks to it found the ball joint adapter set at auto zone for pressing in and out the ball joint. I tore the whole front suspension appart on the passengers side, pressed in the ball joint just fine. But now I can not get the hub assembly back in (knuckle on strut) . :angryfire:

I am using a pry bar to get the lower control arm as low as possible, but can not get the bottom of the strut to slide back in. I need about one more inch, and then it looks like I MIGHT be able to wiggle it back together. Did I disassemble it to far? Will I need a strut compressor to get it back together, or is there another trick? I am kind of ticked and need to get it back together tomorrow.

thanks in advance for any help :x:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Put a floor jack under the rear part of the subframe, remove the subframe bolts, and slowly lower the rear portion of the subframe. You'll get all the clearance you need.

JR

·
Registered
62 Posts
Put a floor jack under the rear part of the subframe, remove the subframe bolts, and slowly lower the rear portion of the subframe. You'll get all the clearance you need.

JR
[/b]
Yep, this should do the trick. You may only have to only loosen the rear subframe bolts enough so that it drops down enough to get you the clearance you need without having to remove the bolts.
But I was able to install the strut into the knuckle w/o having to lower the subframe. I did it by installing the top of the strut loosely to its mount so it could move around and then I was able to place the bottom of the strut into the knuckle with both the strut/knuckle angled toward me and then pushing away from me, I was able to force the strut/knuckle to roll together until they lined up and then the strut slid down into the knuckle, albeit it took alot of effort to do it this way.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

JR
[/b]
Yep, this should do the trick. You may only have to only loosen the rear subframe bolts enough so that it drops down enough to get you the clearance you need without having to remove the bolts.
But I was able to install the strut into the knuckle w/o having to lower the subframe. I did it by installing the top of the strut loosely to its mount so it could move around and then I was able to place the bottom of the strut into the knuckle with both the strut/knuckle angled toward me and then pushing away from me, I was able to force the strut/knuckle to roll together until they lined up and then the strut slid down into the knuckle, albeit it took alot of effort to do it this way.
[/b][/quote]

Yea, the way I did my '99 was without removing the subframe, just leave the top of the strut loose, and push the 2 pieces togeather. Its not the easiest way, but I think its better than taking down the sub frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts