Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 1988 Taurus wagon, 3.0 V6, that just died while I was driving it. It had hesitated a bit before this. We checked, had no spark from plugs or coil, replaced the coil, same thing, except that when I turned the key completely off I got one, fairly weak spark, then nothing. Replaced the Ignition module and got the same result. Any ideas? I would appreciate any help someone can give.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i know this sounds dumb, but did you replace the plugs and wires?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
..check the wires and plugs next...if u havent....

have the alternator tested, make sure it is working properly, I know on my chrysler a weak alternator caused the ignition module to misfire and give weak sparks....

make sure the coil pack you put in is good, maybe u got a 2nd defective one...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by geoff352@Sep 7 2004, 04:04 PM
i know this sounds dumb, but did you replace the plugs and wires?
The plugs aren't that old, and I haven't replaced the wires, but there's no spark getting to the distibutor - just curious, how can that cause my problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by tmonster@Sep 7 2004, 04:16 PM
..check the wires and plugs next...if u havent....

have the alternator tested, make sure it is working properly, I know on my chrysler a weak alternator caused the ignition module to misfire and give weak sparks....

make sure the coil pack you put in is good, maybe u got a 2nd defective one...
I thought that maybe the ignition module may be defective, but again, I'm curious how bad plugs/wires can affect spark when there's no spark getting to the distibutor.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
.....Then do the others, maybe check your ground wires as well. Other than that sorry for trying to help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by tmonster@Sep 7 2004, 05:17 PM
.....Then do the others, maybe check your ground wires as well. Other than that sorry for trying to help
My apologies - Looking at my original post, I realized I didn't describe my symptoms clearly enough. We checked for spark first at the plugs, saw none, then went to the distributor and saw none going there. That's what made us think the problem was with the coil. The one weak spark we saw was at the distributor, straight off the coil wire. We checked the continuity of the coil wire and it seems to be okay. I am extremely baffled...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts