Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 taurus GL. I live in chicago area so it has been really cold since tuesday. My car was running fine on monday/monday night. I parked it and got in the car on tuesday morning. It was really cold out that night, perhaps below zero. Anywho, my car didnt start. The engine turns over but it just does not start. If you need any more information to help figure it out, i would be more than happy to provide. I have no trasportation since and I really need help. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
That's what I was thinking maybe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well what should I do, just wait for it to thaw out? Its going to stil be cold for the upcoming week
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Not sure how well it works (not even 100% sure it exists, lol), but I think I've heard of something you can put in the gas tank that will help thaw things out, but I'm not sure. How much fuel is in the tank? If there's not very much then that makes a freeze up more likely. I assume there's not a heated garage or anything you could roll it in to to try to get it warmed up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Sounds like a frozen fuel line. Get some De-Icer/Dry Gas. And a can of starting fluid, give it a shot in the intake and make sure you still get a bang out if it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle+Jan 9 2004, 02:29 PM-->QUOTE (Mr Sparkle @ Jan 9 2004, 02:29 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-JCC
@Jan 8 2004, 08:01 PM
Have you checked for spark and pressure in the fuel rail.
How do i do this? [/b]
Well, for spark, you can *carefully* pull the spark plug wires (at where they slide over the spark plug) and see if it has spark that way while your cranking. The spark will arc over to the plug, or exhaust manifold, or the nearest object (Which is why you keep your fingers away from the opening, it hurts.)

As for fuel pressure, the only way i can think of right now is the valve on the fuel rails, so i'll let someone else answer that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Ok, so you have spark.

Get a can of starting fluid and spray a shot or two in the Throttle body and replace the hose. If it makes a bang, or attempts to fire over, you found your problem, if not, then you have other issues.

Did you get Dry Gas/De-Icer for the Fuel Yet?
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
You can check for fuel pressure at the rail by removing the valve cap (it looks like a tire valve), and carefully depressing the valve with a pencil or small screwdriver. Put a rag around it before doing that, if it does have fuel pressure, the fuel will shoot out of it and you don't want to get it in your eyes.

I'm guessing that it has to do with fuel line freezing also, and as suggested, get some gas line anti freeze, pour it in the tank, and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok i somehow got it started today. I started it and pressed on the gas and it finally started. Now it just seems like the problems are biginning. It made loud noises after it started but its to be expected after a week of not driving. I got it running and drove it around the block. It was fine for about 1-2 minutes then it got all ****ed up.

The check engine light came one, followed by the battery light and engine oil light. The next stop sign i stopped and the car died. Any time i get to low RPMs now the car just dies. It sounds like a ghetto car now, muffler is making loud noises and the car does not run smooth at all.

Any ideas?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
305 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle@Jan 12 2004, 01:23 PM
Ok i somehow got it started today. I started it and pressed on the gas and it finally started. Now it just seems like the problems are biginning. It made loud noises after it started but its to be expected after a week of not driving. I got it running and drove it around the block. It was fine for about 1-2 minutes then it got all ****ed up.

The check engine light came one, followed by the battery light and engine oil light. The next stop sign i stopped and the car died. Any time i get to low RPMs now the car just dies. It sounds like a ghetto car now, muffler is making loud noises and the car does not run smooth at all.

Any ideas?
Sounds like some water in your gas! Was the gas tank lower than a quarter full when the deep freeze hit?
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Kermitec+Jan 12 2004, 05:27 PM-->QUOTE (Kermitec @ Jan 12 2004, 05:27 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Mr Sparkle
@Jan 12 2004, 01:23 PM
Ok i somehow got it started today. I started it and pressed on the gas and it finally started. Now it just seems like the problems are biginning. It made loud noises after it started but its to be expected after a week of not driving. I got it running and drove it around the block. It was fine for about 1-2 minutes then it got all ****ed up.

The check engine light came one, followed by the battery light and engine oil light. The next stop sign i stopped and the car died. Any time i get to low RPMs now the car just dies. It sounds like a ghetto car now, muffler is making loud noises and the car does not run smooth at all.

Any ideas?
Sounds like some water in your gas! Was the gas tank lower than a quarter full when the deep freeze hit? [/b]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
390 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle@Jan 8 2004, 02:28 PM
I have a 95 taurus GL. I live in chicago area so it has been really cold since tuesday. My car was running fine on monday/monday night. I parked it and got in the car on tuesday morning. It was really cold out that night, perhaps below zero. Anywho, my car didnt start. The engine turns over but it just does not start. If you need any more information to help figure it out, i would be more than happy to provide. I have no trasportation since and I really need help. Thanks.
you can do this but is not recommended.

Push down on the gas pedal and crank the key. it should start. but it will be a harsh start at High RPMs .....car should be ok once it gets warm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So water in the gas would explain the check engine light and all the other behavior? How do I get rid of it?


EDIT- My gas was alittle over a quarter full when the wheather turned sour.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
305 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle@Jan 12 2004, 04:08 PM
So water in the gas would explain the check engine light and all the other behavior? How do I get rid of it?


EDIT- My gas was alittle over a quarter full when the wheather turned sour.
The same sort of "dry gas" or "gas line antifreeze" treatment that folks were suggesting earlier should help. It is available in any auto parts store or even supermarkets. Go get a bottle or two and follow the instructions on the back. Usually this stuff is alcohol and petroleum distillates, they don't really absorb the water in the gas they just let you burn it up along with your fuel. It is possible you got a load of bad gas somewheres also. This is usually gunk in the gas itself when the gas station's tanks runs low. The "dry gas" treatment should help this also. If it does change your fuel filter when it warms up. The first thing I think of is fuel related because of the symptoms you describe thats the simplest and easiest to fix. Oh yeah put some good gas in your car and try to keep it at least half full in the winter. You could be in need of a simple tuneup. You could be running on less than 6 cylinders if your plugs or wires are bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I know this sounds dumb, but can you get it in a buddy's garage for a few hours? Even if the temp inside is in the 30-40's. If the fuel lines can thaw, it will allow the dry-gas products to be circulated through the system once you get it started. You could even help it along by putting a heater in the garage.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top