Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I am helping my friend install an aftermarket headunit for his 1997 Ford Taurus. We got the correct dash kit online, and I did everything that I could figure out... it just doesn't turn on. Here are some pictures of what I've done so far. We'd like to get this done tonite, so quick replies would be great.

Dash:

Trunk:

As you can see in the first picture, there are two extra plugs. I have no idea if these go somewhere, but I tried most places, and they don't fit.
And in the second picture, there is an orange wire sticking out, and I don't know where I am supposed to connect that... any ideas?
And in the third picture, there is a big extra plug that probably needs to go somewhere, but I cannot figure it out.
And the last picture is of the amplifier in the trunk. I connected a big long wire to it that came with the dash kit, but as you can see, there is a yellow (and black but must be hidden) wires with crimps on the end. I'm not sure if I am supposed to connect these somewhere...?

HELP!

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Does it work? :dunno:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looking at the power wires from the HU into the the plug... they don't appear to actually be connected to a power source, just a dead end on the plug.
[/b]
Yes, it is just a plug sitting there. We cannot find anywhere that it should plug into. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!

Are you sure the green and white sockets don't just directly plug into those two sockets on the dash harness?
[/b]
Wow... we just went out and tried this. IT WORKS! Thank you soo much. I just don't know what that extra plug is for now... maybe it's for the Mercury Sable?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well my stupid friend decided that after we got it working that he didn't really like the head unit, so we returned it. We got a new one, it is a Pioneer. So, I got the harness from the Pioneer, then I matched up all the colors like I did with the other one, and now it doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong now? I'll take some pictures tomorrow...

·
Registered
51 Posts
take ur head unit to any car audio store and have them bench test it to make sure it still works, check ur fuses, and make sure when u put the head unit back in that the battery is disconnected.
sometimes its the little things that will keep it from working

·
Registered
103 Posts
You need to check the fuses for the radio. The factory radio only requires 5a fuses. Since the speakers aren't powered from the dash factory radio but the tuner in the rear the fuse needs to be upgraded to the same size on the aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my deck is finally working! I guess the problem was the wiring wasn't secure enough. But now i just need subs and a amp. Any ideas anyone??

Oh and thanks everyone that helped!!! :]
yaaaa taurus!!!!! lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts