Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First problem, I have started getting a noise from the front end when driving that wasn't there before. It sounds like a low frequency hum, might describe it as a constant groan. It seems to increase a little in volume and frequency has the speeds increase. Also seems the most noticeable around 80 kph. After that, wind and road noise starts to take over. It seems to shift fine, no warning lights, power seems to be all there. Anyone come across this type of sound?

Next issue, my AC has started acting up. For some reason it will blow cold air and then stop. It seems to do this on longer drives and if I do a lot of stop and go driving. The next time I drive it, starts off cold with no problem but if I'm out on the round for much more than an hour or two it will start acting up again. I also hear a whine when I accelerate which I assume is the compressor, don't recall it doing that last summer. It has the EATC and I usually have it set to one temp at max AC. Anyone know what might cause the temperature swings?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the noise from the front disappears when you turn slightly it's wheel bearings.

AC issues sounds like the clutch coil getting weak. There is a shim you can remove to make it work.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The noise from the front doesn't really change if I'm driving straight or turning left or right. It seems fairly constant.

I'll look at the service manual to see if the clutch coil is a simple job.

Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts