Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My car has been making some new noises in the past few weeks and I am trying to track down what might be causing them. The noise is coming from the passenger side of the engine bay and usually only happens when I accelerate. The noise sounds like little ball bearings being shaken in a can and there is also a steady drone at the same time.

I thought at first it was the serpentine belt/water pump/idler pulley/belt tensioner, so I replaced all those today. After taking the car out for a drive I am still hearing the noise. I decided to go to an empty parking lot and drive around without giving it gas and see if I heard anything and I hear the noise only when turning to the right. I am going to guess it is something power steering related, but does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Firstly, be sure what the problem is. Best to remove the belt and check everything by hand. If it is the A/C clutch bearing don't drive the car till everything is fixed.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Sounds like it could be spark knock. Check for vac leaks, try running a tank of premium gas and see if the noise goes away. Another noise maker could be the timing chain, but rare to have one go bad on the Vulcan engine, unless it was driven hard most of it's life.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a Duratec. Wouldn't spark knock occur at random times and not necessarily when I turn the car left or right?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I've got a Duratec. Wouldn't spark knock occur at random times and not necessarily when I turn the car left or right?
Okay, it happens only when you turn, and accelerate at the same time? That sounds like the pass side cv joint on it's way out. Does the steering wheel shimmy when you turn sharp and accelerate, when it makes that noise?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump with update. I got the AC Clutch replaced and the noise is still there.

I guess the last things to check would be the Alternator and Power Steering pulleys.

·
Registered
23,389 Posts
Check all belt driven components with a mech. stethoscope, pc. of hose, or a long screwdriver held to your ear. Carefully place right behind ea. pulley with eng. idling. If that fails to pinpoint the noise, remove belt and rotate ea. pulley by hand checking for roughness and play. With belt still off, start car for a few seconds and see if noise has disappeared. If it has, a belt driven component is at fault, if not, further diagnosing is required.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I thought at first it was the serpentine belt/water pump/idler pulley/belt tensioner, so I replaced all those today. After taking the car out for a drive I am still hearing the noise. I decided to go to an empty parking lot and drive around without giving it gas and see if I heard anything and I hear the noise only when turning to the right. I am going to guess it is something power steering related, but does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!
Why not pop off the belt and start the engine and see if the noise goes away, instead of buying tons of parts? You would probably be able to tell quickly if a pulley was noisey, it's probably not to do with the serpentine system, but running the engine without a belt will tell you for sure.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Removed the belt yesterday and started the car without it and I didn't hear the noise anymore. I checked the pulleys and the power steering pulley didn't want to turn very much and it also was able to be pulled in/out just a little. I am going to guess that this is the cause of the noise and get a new pump/pulley.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts