Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea.. So I went to Wal Mart today with a friend and while waiting for someone to back out of their space, some old woman backs into my taurus... I was P-Oed and didnt think to get her license (never had opprotunity seeing that she just took off) and cannot be compensated... So I guess I just have to deal with the fugly mark she made on my car and hope the dent on her chrysler mini van is worse...

Has anyone ever dealt with re - painting a small section of their car willing to share a procedure on the best way to do it? Is there a better place than the dealer to get paint? Id rather not have to take it to a shop like everyone else says...

Heres some pics
[attachmentid=28429]
[attachmentid=28428]
[attachmentid=28427]
...I guess it could have been worse but I was upset when I first laid eyes on this... I threw my keys across the lot and slaped the side of my car. hahahaha

Much help appreciated cuz I am a fairly new member of the car club. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Is it deep (you can feel it if you drag your fingernails across)? If it isn't deep, just grab some wax and buff it out.

If it is deep, you're going to have to sand it down and repaint it. Getting new paint to match will be a pain and it'll probably look worse if it doesn't match. You can get a body shop to mix the paint for you if you plan to DIY. If you want to take it to a body shop to have them take care of the repair, it'll probably run at least $300 for a small patch. Some shops will tell you that the paint will not match and the entire bumper will need to be repainted which will cost more.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Buff out what you can and see what you are left with... Spray painting it will probably make it look worse...

EDIT: Me and Qwertz must be telepathically linked posting basically the same advice at the exact same time...

Also, if your car is Toredor red like mine is, it really isn't hard finding the paint... The Canadian Tire brand stores stock Toredor red spray paint and Toredor red scratch pens... If you are looking for a cheap solution, id just fill in the deeper scratches with a paint pen...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I found the paint pens today at Wal Mart but they wouldnt let me buy one cuz im not quite 18 years old haha.

Yea I suppose it would look better to just cover the larger white spots than to try and sand it off and re do the whole section...

The lady that hit me also broke that sidemarker and I had to get a new bulb... Old hag......

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You can do what one of our members did and buy a vinyl sticker shaped like a band-aid and slap that over the blemish.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Yea I found the paint pens today at Wal Mart but they wouldnt let me buy one cuz im not quite 18 years old haha.

Yea I suppose it would look better to just cover the larger white spots than to try and sand it off and re do the whole section...

The lady that hit me also broke that sidemarker and I had to get a new bulb... Old hag......
[/b]
Do they think you are going to vandalism things with a paint pen? Sidemarkers are a dime a dozen... Buy one on ebay for like a buck...

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Wal-Mart doesn't sell a lot of things to under 18. Fuel injector cleaner, super glue, Sharpies, medicine, spray paint, etc. It's just their policy for being a surrogate parent. For that stuff, other retailers are happy to sell to you if you're under 18.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd give it a good try with some polish and see what happens. If it's ok when you're done, great! If not, I'd either live with it, or take it to a bodyshop and have it painted as it just won't look good if you try to touch it up with a spray bomb.

Some clown hit my car and ran about 3 years ago and I had to have my back bumper refinished. It cost about $250.00 and the dealer did a nice job, so I'd suspect that you could get yours fixed for about that kind of $$ if you can't polish out the scratch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts