Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to have to ask this but, I desperately need your help. To get a car working so as to go to my lung doctor.
I bought a 2003 Tarsus high mileage of course. A few days ago something started burning, I pulled it over in a parking lot one night. The next morning, I raised the hood and began to look for a problem. Couldn't find no burnt wiring, but found a loose oil filter. It had been leaking oil from around the filter oil had leaked down on the starter. I put a new filter on the car that moment, not one drop leaked as I changed it. It had the wrong filter (half size it should've been). I've been sick so I hadn't touched this car in any way, the filter shouldn't been loose. Well I had to loosen the wire from the starter to the battery and reposition it, because the filter was longer, well I loosened and repositioned and tighted it down. Well when I used a rachet & socket I accidentally touched both posts, yes a stupid rookie mistake I know. Like I said had been sick and wasn't thinking. I should've disconnected the battery. Well I got back in my car and it wouldn't start. It just make a long series clicking noises, a rapid series of clicking that made a burrrrr sound, I say burring because the clicking sound came so fast. I got out cleaned the battery posts and clamps. Got back in and it started. I made a stop before I got home and it done it again. Turn the ignition and the same rapid clicking burrrrr, someone stopped and jumped me off, thank You Lord, well I got it home shut it off but it's doing the rapid clicking noise. It will not start unless jumped off. I've had this same problem in 2 Tarsus it may or it may start again after a while, this time it won't start. I know part of the burning fumes where from the oil. It had gotten every were. Couldn't the starter be bad with that oil getting inside or starter seloniod gone bad? Maybe I didn't short it out when I crossed seloniod terminals, but it shouldn't have started if it had. The battery seems strong. I've cleaned the battery terminals again with a sponge sanding block (yes there very clean now), but haven't no meters to check voltage coming from anything. Please understand I've been outta work for sickness for a while now and have to be careful we're I spend what I have.
The last Tarsus would do it occasionally. I know I replaced the alternator, but I think it continued on after that but can't remember, sorry side effect of covid. If someone could help I would be very appreciative.

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
Battery and cables maintenance are a must. If it is a Vulcan oil gets on the starter and makes things bad inside. Loose oil filter is someone's bad work or bad filter. Also, sometimes the old gasket sticks to the engine and someone puts on a new filter and that is double gasketed. It will leak.
Congrats on doing your own work.
-chart-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery and cables maintenance are a must. If it is a Vulcan oil gets on the starter and makes things bad inside. Loose oil filter is someone's bad work or bad filter. Also, sometimes the old gasket sticks to the engine and someone puts on a new filter and that is double gasketed. It will leak.
-chart-
It's definitely a Vulcan v6
-chart-
-chart-
Yes it's a Vulcan v6. I was thinking along those lines that maybe oil had gotten in the starter. I'd read that on tread somewhere else. I know the battery has been fine. Once I took the sanding sponge to the terminals and posts it it wanted to turn over, but stopped began the clicking almost a burning. I taught it might be battery at first,but I cleaned the battery. I've had the same problem for years out of another Tarsus. Tied do it a spell then start and run fine for a while. This one did same then stopped. Thank you for your time and replying. I'll look some more when ground drys some more recheck and make sure everything clean and tighted down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
" It will not start unless jumped off. "

My guess is that the starter is not damaged and your battery might be the culprit.
I have been using this battery tester and you can give a try.

[/URL][/URL]

Best
Yes, I thought of getting a relative to take me a have it tested, but I've had this problem in another Tarsus. This one acted like it would start, then started to turn over and stopped and started click almost a buring noice. The other one I had done this from time to time. Though when I had a alternator go bad it ruined my battery, can't recall if it done it again. I think it wouldn't be after since it took times it wouldn't, those spells would last awhile then go away.
Thank you for your reply and time you took.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
" It will not start unless jumped off. "

My guess is that the starter is not damaged and your battery might be the culprit.
I have been using this battery tester and you can give a try.

Best
The battery is all right, I had O'Reilly check the battery and alternator both. The last Tarsus had same problem,and like the last one after being jumped off this morning it's ran started just fine. I'm thinking of having the starter checked, I wonder if there could be some kind of intermittent issue with the seloniod. Thanks for the heads up on the tester. How's the obd scan tools, how good are they?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
T
Definitely suspect a dead cell/short in the battery, hence the intermittent nature of the problem. Get it load tested
Thanks for your time,
I had the battery tested this morning by O'Reilly's, test came out fine. Had alternator checked too. I had a problem on the last Tarsus, where the alternator passed evey test given by AutoZone and O'Reilly's. Had a relative check out with a Mac scan tool he found a intermittent issue, voltage would drop and it was killing my sensors and battery, causing it to back fire replaced cats, battery and several sensors because of that bad alternator. I wonder if that could be happening.

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
Next time the starter motor wont operate, have a helper hold the key in START while you give the starter a good wack or 2 with a hammer. If engine cranks replace the starter. If starter is bad, stay away from the cheap crap reman junk from Auto Zone, etc. Get a NEW (not reman) name brand unit (Motorcfaft, AC Delco Professional Series, etc.)

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
620 Posts
The battery is all right, I had O'Reilly check the battery and alternator both. The last Tarsus had same problem,and like the last one after being jumped off this morning it's ran started just fine. I'm thinking of having the starter checked, I wonder if there could be some kind of intermittent issue with the seloniod. Thanks for the heads up on the tester. How's the obd scan tools, how good are they?
Have you checked the ground cable where it meets the car body for a good connection? That could be part of your intermittent start problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you checked the ground cable where it meets the car body for a good connection? That could be part of your intermittent start problem.
Just cleaning the battery terminals is only part of cleaning the circuit. You need to check the inside of the terminals and clean those also. (The little battery terminal cleaner tool you can buy has a wire brush to clean the inside of the cable clamps but I used to just scrape it with a small knife blade.) Then remove the ends opposite the battery, where the other end of the cable(s) attach. Then also remove and clean the ground straps between the engine and body/frame. You should even loosen and clean the solenoid terminals and clean the starter's terminals. You cannot rule out a problem with another component of the starting system until all the connections are clean and solid.

I once had a cable break inside the sheath where it went into the end that bolted to the engine. I couldn't see the break and it passed a continuity check. However it did not have enough "meat" left in the actual cable to complete a good ground. I used the jumper cable to bypass it from the battery to the motor and it could start fine.

The solenoids are cheap but I have had bad ones right out of the box.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts