Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm definitely replacing the front & rear speakers in my Gen 3. Which should I get all around, or might it be better to mix & match? I know that specs don't tell the whole story, because there are crap speakers out there with good numbers.

Thanks for your help!!

Cerwin Vega HED-1683
Frequency Response - 35-22000 hz
Specifications Power Handling (RMS) - 50 watts
Power Handling (Peak) - 100 watts
Sensitivity 90 dB
-----------------------------
Rockford Fosgate HPC2268
Specifications Power Handling (RMS) - 75 watts
Power Handling (Peak) - 150 watts
Impedence - 4 ohms(Nominal)
Frequency Response - 40-24000 hz
Sensitivity 89 dB
----------------------------
Rockford Fosgate FRC4368
sensitivity 89 dB
frequency response 40-22,000 Hz
recommended power range 8-60 watts RMS
peak power handling 120 watts

·
Registered
64 Posts
personaly, i would go with eclipse or pioneer. they make decent highs. but if i were you, i would put a component set up front, and either nothing, or mid bass in the rear, definately nothing with tweeters in it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put Pioneer's all the way around, and I think they sound great. I would recommend Pioneer. But, it's all really personal preference and what you like.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As far as mid-grade coax speakers Infinity Kappas are the way to go. You can get them on ebay for cheap, but for almost nothing more you can order from www.sounddomain.com and they are an authorized dealer so if you run into any problems the will help.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would go with a decent set of Audiobahns...
I'm running 6.5" up front and 5"x7" Cerwin-Vegas in the rear, plus Infinity Reference tweeters. It sounds really good through my Panasonic deck. Ever since I installed the Audiobahns, they have sounded absolutely amazing, and you can get them for pretty cheap on eBay. I'd say that the Audiobahns would be cheaper than Infinitys or Pioneers, and sound either just as good or better...

JR

·
Registered
183 Posts
the fostgate H's are pretty good with bass, thats what i got

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I'd go with CDT, Cadence, or Infinity in the front and just a pair of cheap 5x7's in the rear. Make sure you put some power to them though, at least 50 watts RMS. That is if you want a more sq oriented setup. If you just wanna make it better all around I'd go with Infinity References.

Pioneers play 0 midbass, just low and high to give you the idea that they have a broad range. Rockfords sound kinda muddy and are finicky, never heard Cerwins.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm running 4 DIAMOND AUDIO M3 Series in Front and Rear and two 12" KENWOOD subs.

The Subs are powered by a Kenwood 600 watt amp and the 4 DIAMOND's are powered by a 500 Watt amp and they sound great never had a problem with them... they were highly recommended by my friend that installs car audio and alarm/remote start systems for a living

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got to think about the CDT's --- Not sure I want to spend that much --- But I am considering it.

Am I reading correctly that the consensus of the group is to put the good speakers in the front? I have a stock system, and it sounds like the rear speakers are contributing much more than the front door speakers.

With a 6.5 assuming I use one of these: What do I do with the tweeters that come with the speakers?

In Frequency Response - Is the "35" in the 35-22000 hz part what tells me the lower part of the response? So in my choices does it show the Cerwins as being able to play lower notes than the Fosgates?

I used to know all this stuff when I was younger, but don't remember any of it.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
yes, the 35 refers to 35 Hz. The human ear can hear from 20-20,000Hz (depending on how many heavy metal concerts youv'e been to). Anything above 20,000 is pretty useless, so don't bother with speakers that have the "super tweeters" that go up to 40,000Hz or something. For reference, Most decent 10" subs go down to about 30Hz.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Go with the CDT's. All you will need is to make an adaptor for each of the 6.5" woofers. I would say no more than a 1/2" piece of mdf and you can mount them right up to the factory 6x8" holes in the doors. I also used the factory mounting plate for the tweeters in the sails for the CDT tweeters. Get a good amount of power running to them also, something like 80-100 watts continuous and you won't have a problem. I have 100 watts x2 continuous running to mine and they sound really good.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't know about everyone else, but I have Sony equipment all the way around. It didn't cost an arm and a leg and it sounds great. You don't have to give your life away to get good sound.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i agree 100% slider, you dont have to give your life away for great sound. you dont even have to spend a ton of money. but i like to spend the money on the good equipment. thats just how i am, if i am going to be spending money on something, then i am going to get the best i can afford. i will have over 1k in just amps, 700 in my subs, and another 3-500 in component set, and 500 on the deck. add another 5-600 for miscelaneous stuff, wiring, install parts, crossover, eq, etc. but thats just me. and thats a cheap system compared to some of these competition systems.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Originally posted by snyper1982@Jan 23 2004, 11:36 AM
i agree 100% slider, you dont have to give your life away for great sound. you dont even have to spend a ton of money. but i like to spend the money on the good equipment. thats just how i am, if i am going to be spending money on something, then i am going to get the best i can afford. i will have over 1k in just amps, 700 in my subs, and another 3-500 in component set, and 500 on the deck. add another 5-600 for miscelaneous stuff, wiring, install parts, crossover, eq, etc. but thats just me. and thats a cheap system compared to some of these competition systems.
That's just fine snyper. If you have the money to do nice things to your car go for it. I think I may have just put about a total of 800 dollars of stereo in my car. That's what I can afford and I'm perfectly happy with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My .02cents is get a speaker with an outboard crossover. Also, don't worry to much about how low the speaker can go, that is the subwoofers job. You should be able to get 2 pair of infinity kappa speakers for under 250 shipped, from http://www.sounddomain.com they have a deal on kappa's at 109.95 per pair (shipped).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts