Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well here's the story. I get to pick my sable up tomorrow (Friday 13th) after it spending over 2 1/2 weeks there to install a used transmission (was cheapest and since I don't have any money was only option.) before I droped it off I was told it would be a 2-3 day job. I called today and mechanic said "yeah, we have it out and open and we are overhauling it now" (strange. They said they are putting in "A used" transmission, not mine after they rebuild it.) but hey, my car will be ready.

I was wondering what, on average, a rebuild on my Transmission would usually cost. when we talked about putting in a used transmission he told me $800-$900, but now since he's over hauling this one it shouldn't cost that much should it?

any help would be appreciated. I'm going to try talking him down from what ever the price is anyway since I've had to ride the Bus to and from work for over 2 weeks now and haven't been able to do anything other than sit at home or work and he told me it would just be 2 or 3 days that I would be without my car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well, around my town, they quote about $1300 to 1600 for a soft rebuild, meaning if it did not need any real expensive parts, just bands/clutches/seals.

AAMCO could charge as much as $2500 for the same job.

Above means they pull your trans, rebuild it, and reinstall.

I know 13-1600 is not what you WANT to hear, but it is not cheap.
To get a better idea, when you call a place, ask specifically what it would run for a taurus (your year) transmission soft rebuild. Soft implies the gears are not chewed up. BTW, AAMCO is the MOST expensive, and not necessarily the best place.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spoke with my Mechanic again. Lovely. not only did the used transmission crap out on the test drive (thats why they overhauled mine) my front motor mount is busted to hell, I need a new upper radiator hose, and the grand total comes out to be $1,577.71 (without tax if I'm not mistaken). but the mechanic said he has some good news. "He'll put the rearview mirror up at no charge" Gee, thanks. Like I didn't know how to do that myself.

Oh well. when I go in on Monday to pick up my Sable I'll see if I can talk him down on the labor charges atleast.

·
Registered
397 Posts
that sounds about right, and used transmissions, especially in the bull, are just not a good idea.

yeah, also check if there is any kind of warranty.

Check with other shops, and say you found a cheaper place, but if they could give you a year warranty you will have them do it, (warranty at the 1577)
BUT ask about the warranty, if they have one before saying a year, they might be willing to go a couple years as their normal thing...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
overhaul already comes with 12month 12000 mile warranty according to the mechanic. I'm going to make sure it even says it in writing.

its just alot for a $600 car. I mean another 200-350 and I could have rebuilt and ported the engine for my RX-7.

*edit*
Don't get me wrong. I've already fallen in love with the sable. doesn't handle as well, but gets up and goes enough and has a LOT more room than my old beat up RX-7. as long as it runs nice and smoothe after I get it back i'll be happy either way.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got my tranny rebuilt for $850.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine was really chewed up so he had to buy completely new interior parts and sh*t. I cant believe that he wouldn't even meet me at his shop today to pick up my car. ugh. told me he's closed that I had to wait till Monday.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
some mechanics are a real.... they dont even talk properly or let you step in to see whats going on with your car
(give the crap of insurance regulations prevent customer from going inside.. BS)

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
I guess it's too late now, but did you put in a trans-go shift kit along with the rebuild? Those things do help in keeping the tranny from destroying itself in the future IMO.

-PS- Yeah I've had some really bad experiences with mechanics who just do whatever they feel like to your car and charge you after the fact...I asked one mechanic how much it would be to rebuild the tranny while I was getting an oil change and he was like, "oh, it's $400 alone just for us to drop the tranny
, why you want to do that now?" and proceeded to walk towards my car. Oh course, I quickly refused his kind offer

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Wes replaced his tranny with a Jasper tranny this past summer. It was expensive, but we believe worth it in the long run. ~$3200 installed w/ 75K / 3 yr warrenty.

And FYI this belongs in Maintenance / repair section...

-Dan

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an 89 Sable 3.0 with the AXOD. It cost me $1800 for a complete rebuild with all of the updates and a tranny cooler installed. I had the car back in two days. This guy is good. I was shocked to have it back in 2 days. He told me at least 3.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A "GOOD" rebuild should run around $850 to $1100 (parts and labor) including a regular replacement toqure converter. (reuse as few parts as possable) [I said "good" not super-duper]

ADD another $350 ~ $600 for removal and replacement. (thats really the biggest part of the job; all labor and many places won't break that out in a detailed cost summary
) I did this part myself.

But now you're saying this guy put in a used unit first, then removed that one and rebuilt the original one. (???
) That's a total of two removals and two installations

Just so you know... he's got a lot of labor tied up in that job not counting the rebuild. ...if he really did put a used one in and try it first.

Kinda makes me think, "Hummmmm....." as I wonder if this may be his way of squeezing more bucks out of a low budget job. Just a thought

1 - 13 of 13 Posts