Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals, I have an 02 taurus with 195000 miles on here. I just replaced the engine and am having some problems. First before I replaced the motor I had a cylender #2 misfire that I couldnt get rid of. The motor ended up dropping the number 2 and 5 cylinders. Ok now I have since replaced the motor with one that has 19000 miles on here. the problems began with code PO193, which ended up being a broken wire. Currently I have four trouble codes,
PO171 System to lean (bank 1)
PO303 Cylinder 3 Misfire
PO316 Misfire detected first 1000 Rpms
P1151 Manufacturer Control Fuel air metering.
So far I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel regulator, The DPFE thing, plugs, wires and coil. Now I have checked the fuel pressure and I am getting a constant 30psi when running, And about 43 with the key on engine off. There are zero vaccum leaks that I can find. Please help. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (bmlawson @ May 9 2009, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723921
Hello guys and gals, I have an 02 taurus with 195000 miles on here. I just replaced the engine and am having some problems. First before I replaced the motor I had a cylender #2 misfire that I couldnt get rid of. The motor ended up dropping the number 2 and 5 cylinders. Ok now I have since replaced the motor with one that has 19000 miles on here. the problems began with code PO193, which ended up being a broken wire. Currently I have four trouble codes,
PO171 System to lean (bank 1)
PO303 Cylinder 3 Misfire
PO316 Misfire detected first 1000 Rpms
P1151 Manufacturer Control Fuel air metering.
So far I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel regulator, The DPFE thing, plugs, wires and coil. Now I have checked the fuel pressure and I am getting a constant 30psi when running, And about 43 with the key on engine off. There are zero vaccum leaks that I can find. Please help. Sorry for the long post.[/b]

Maybe oxygen sensor is tired and sticking on lean.. with datalogger (on ford scanner) you can watch on a graph the oxygen sensor switching.. also woulden't hurt to take some break clean or TB cleaner and spray the intake and see if RPM raises if it does you have a intake leak..
after you fix the lean code and still have a missfire check your plug,wire and for small cracks on top of coil

and

P1151 = Lack of HO2S-21 Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
you can replace the 02 with something like Bosch sensors.

you may need to replace plugs (motorcraft, autolite, anything but Bosch) and wires.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Bank #1, O2 Sensor #1 (firewall side or engine, pre-cat sensor) is probably defective. From experience, I have noticed that many O2 sensors report as lean when they fail.

You probably have a bad spark plug, or bad spark plug wire, or a defective coil pack causing the misfire. the only spark plugs I use on OBDII engines are the original spark plugs supplied by the manufacturer (they work better, no matter who the manufacturer of the car and the spark plugs are/were). Use the only Motorcraft platinum plugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts