Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on replacing the fuel pump on a 98 SE for a friend. I need a short outline of the procedures, and a source for the pump other than oem ($200). No, I do not want to cut the floorboard out on my friend's car, so please stick with the normal procedure. I've done fuel pumps on the older Taurii, I just need to make sure there's not something special about the Gen3. Now that I think about it, isn't there a subframe back there? If so, can the front end be dropped enough to allow the tank to maneuver out? I believe I had to do that on a Contour once.

Thanks!

David

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Source - ebay. got mine (190LPH beast) for $50.

1. run the car out of gas. If you can't run the car, either try and siphon it, or get some strong people to help.
2. disconnect the fill line and vent line, and unbolt the two straps that hold the tank on.
3. drop the tank. the pump assembly is on the top, held in by a huge plastic nut that comes off easily. Pull out the whole pump canister.
4. disassemble the canister, and replace the pump inside. the electrical connections are not sealed, so if you neeed to clip the wires and connect a new harness for the pump, you can. (had to with mine)
5. reassemble (good luck lifting the tank back up if it's full).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds easier than the Gen2's. What about the power lines? Do they go through the trunk floor like the Gen2. or is it done differently?

Thanks,
David

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
How large is the tank? Like how high do you need to raise the car to get the tank out from under it? Just some floor jacks good enough?

I'm asking because my fuel guage gets stuck at 1/4 tank and I'm figuring it's most likely the fuel level sensor which I assume is part of the fuel pump assembly?

-Dan

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I used two fkoor jacks to jack up the car. I did not disconnect all of the wiring, I did it all on my back underneath the car. there are no gaskets, the main ring seals the whole canister in, and the fuel pump is completely submerged. on the gen 3's, the fuel tank is underneath the rear seat, not under the trunk. the wiring is under the unibody. the tank is wide, but pretty flat. As long as it's empty, you can easily hold it in place with one hand while you retighten the straps with the other. it slides up into a ledge over the rear suspension, so it's not that hard to maneuver.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Does anyone know if you can replace just the fuel level sensor, or is it actually part of the fuel pump?

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
So I can buy the sensor seperately? I assume that's the most likely cause of the gas guage problem?

-Dan

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
call your stealership. They will know if you can buy it separately. I'm sure it can be REPLACED separately, but they might only sell it as an assembly. It would be tricky to pull one out of a junker. The sensor is electronically controlled, the unit in the tank is only a variable resistor.

Here is what the Haynes manual says about the level sending unit in the tank:
raise the car, find the electrical connection on the frame for the level sending unit (round terminal with four plugs). Usually the wires are yellow-white and black/yellow wires. use the 200-Ohm sclae on the Ohmmeter. With the fuel tank completely full, the resistance should be about 160 Ohms. with the tank nearly empty, it should be about 15 Ohms.

Hope that helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts