Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an engine for our 99 Bull,dont need everything just the main engine (dont need heads, manifold, intake, ect) MUST be strong running..please dont sell me junk! Fried some rings we think and its cheaper to replace engine than fix it. We are in Iowa, soperfer a engine close by that we can drive and pick up..let me know prices and miles! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
just for the sake of talking, what you are asking for is a shortblock, this includes crank pistons, rings but no heads, and of course the block.

a longblock would include oil pan, heads, valve covers, and I believe intake.

btw I don't have one just thought I'de chime in.

because these engine are so cheap you might be in a good position to go to a junkyard and buy a complete engine (including acessories) for $150 or so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well..im in the 2nd largest city in Iowa, 1 junk yard has one..80,000 miles (YIKES!) and he wants $750 PLUS my engine..oh and the new heads we just had done, "my engine for $750 plus your engine"..told him I just spent $300 on my heads..he said "your engine as it sits"..I hung up. I thought I would be able to find one for $500 or so..but $750 with an exchange?!?!?!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob..THANK YOU!! That site is the greatest!! Found engines for $750..but under 25,000 miles..so its cool. Wonder how much I could sell my heads for now that I dont need them..isnt it always that way..spend $400 on heads then decide you have to replace the engine..aarrgghh!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response, but a special thanks to Bob..we found a bunch of engines about 2 hours away (48,000 miles for $575, 101 day warranty) and some 16,000 mile engines 4 hours away for $700..so guess we will have to take a road trip, might be a month or so, travel to much now to take the time off to replace it. BTW..did a search but came up empty..how tough is the engine to pull, does it come out the top or bottom, and can the tranny stay in place? Know these answers for Bikes and Imports..lol, just not this dern Bull!!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would got pick up a Chilton's and a Haynes manual...buy both. It's good to have two different perpectives on a large project like this.

JR

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have them..dont really give good info on yankin the engine, so that sucks. Figgure it should come out the top, still dont know if I have to yank the transmission as well, guess I will continue to surf the web!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I know that other people have had to drop the subframe to get the engine out. You might need to do that as well, but not sure. If you don't need to drop the subframe, you could definitely do it without yanking the transmission. Just unbolt it from the block and yank it with a cherry picker.

JR

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whew..dont have to drop the subframe, engine comes out the top, and it doesnt look to hard, wont be that big a deal, easy weekend project!!

G

·
Vulcans are mad easy to pull out the top. Leave the trans in the car, just make sure it's supported.

Total hours spent to swap my 97 Vulcan were about 9. Compared to the 3.5 Chrysler I'm doing now, it was a cake walk.

G

·
found a bunch of engines about 2 hours away (48,000 miles for $575, 101 day warranty) and some 16,000 mile engines 4 hours away for $700
I would suggest you keep looking around. I know vulcans can be had for about $300-$400. You would not believe how cheap I have been able to get them for (like 2 digits cheap) mileage was higher but engines were fine and at $150-$300, if I have to change one a year or two sooner than a $700 engine, I don't mind at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found them around $400 but around 95,000 miles..and thats way to high. We put a easy 17-20,000 miles a year on it..so figgured go lower miles to not have to swap engines in a year or so again. Heck if I could find a 50,000 mile engine for under $400 I would be stoked!! I have $350 in the freekin heads I JUST had done that I cant use anymore (why buy an engine and swap heads again if I dont have to) and could have spent a little more and got an engine..grrrr. I will still look around, but in Iowa/Illinois it isnt looking good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts