Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, if you're posting in reply to this topic - Thanks!

I currently am running Nakamichi 6.5" 2-way components in my '01 SES, tweets in sail panel (stock - slightly modified) and mids in stock lower door. I don't think many people have heard the Naks, evidenced by my inability to find many reviews so I went with them anyway a few months ago. I am not unhappy as on some well recorded music (mostly stuff with not a lot of stuff going on - jazz, acoustic stuff, etc) these puppies sound amazing. But when the music gets more involved, (ex. first couple tracks off Mayer's new one, heavier guitars, distortion, etc.) they seem to break up a bit and loose detail).

It sounds as if there is sometimes a "hole" in the midrange on some tracks/cd's (ie, John Mayer, Brian Setzer). I am sure it has to do with either imaging or the Nakamichi crossover points, (plus the Naks can't get too loud - they seem to break up a little at high volumes). I am not willing to mod the interior, and I can't change the crossover points, so......
What component systems might be a better choice for off-axis mids and pref. silk tweets and can get cleanly loud when needed? I have been considering sets in the $275-400 range. Diamond Audio Hex s600s, Rainbow Pro Vanadium Comp. (used for $300), the DEI's Viper 650.2 at Sounddomain ($139 closeout, originally $399), a/d/s/ series 3, CDT's HD62-CF ($199 sale/ $370 reg.). Any ideas? I would like to hear from people who have heard these and may have similar set-ups, etc.

Thanks for looking and offering advice! BTW, the Naks were in the $225 price range ($320 list), though higher cost doesn't always mean higher quality..
Gary

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Definitely do yourself a favor and try to find a boston acoustics dealer. I guarantee you that you will like any boston they have.
I was thinking about getting the boston rally series components because they sound awesome. You'll notice that bostons have a very smooth and even sound in all frequency ranges. I have a pair of boston acoustics in my rear deck and they sound pretty amazing. Up front I have a set of 5.25" infinity components with silk tweeters and they sound pretty good. The infinitys do seem to be a little weak so i'm considering replacing them with the boston components. BTW Boston speakers will handle high power very well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...
Thanks Xmann. I know the Boston Pro's are supposed to be very nice. I didn't consider them because I have heard they are very bright, with metal tweets. But, I will take your advice and give them a listen. Wow...I surprised no one else has responded...usually there is a ton of input...

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just got a pair of CDT Audio Classic Series 6.5" Components. The model I got was the CL-61's. I don't have them installed yet but I have heard they are some pretty good speakers. I might have them installed by friday if you want to know how they sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
T-3,
Yes, I'd like to know how they sound. I see the folks over at Sounddomain have been raving about these for ahwile- and at the Zebs price of $149 I can see why. I think I wouldn't be the only one interested in a review of these. I was considering their HD series now, but I look forward to hearing what you think of the Classics. I think someone else here has them too..can't remember who, though.

Spy,
You know, I never even thought of Polk. I'll see what they've got.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
1 word: Directed.

I dunno if SoundDomain still has the Viper components on sale but they are the shiznit and then some. If I had the money on me, they would be in my car already.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Still working on getting the CDT's put in but I should have them in and hooked up by Sunday or Monday.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Definitely let us know how the CDT's sound, I've heard high praise of those on other sites.

Personally I am not a huge fan of silk dome tweeters. They are nice and soft but lack the precision of titanium and aluminum hard domes. If you have a good head unit, you can tone the tweeters down a bit, as well as control them with the crossovers if they are a bit too much for your ears.

I like the Infinity Perfects, they are nice components. The tweeters can be a little bit harsh but can be turned down. They are extremely accurate as well. During the first month or two of use, these things will sound like they lack any low end until they start to break themselves in and then they are golden. Remember the material makes the difference in the Infinity lines: References are polypropylene/silk-dome, Kappas are ceramic-metal, and Perfects are aluminum.

Another speaker to look at is the JBL Power Series components. They have the pure titanium dome tweeters of the GTi components with the Power Series' woven cone midbass. I might get these eventually, not sure yet, but they are not bad for the money. I've heard great things about the Kicker Resolution series as well, though I've never heard any of them.

I assume you do not have an unlimited cash flow (LOL) or I would suggest the Focal Polykevlar K2's (the yellow ones). They are simply amazing, but carry a high price tag (around $550 US).

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
polk ex3 componets or polk momo

i have the ex2 and they kick a**, but they need a sub for low end punch. they don't do much below 150.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ok, I did get the CDT's installed and hooked up this morning after a couple hours of messing with hooking my amps up to the stock wiring from the factory amp. I just got them working before I had to run to work today. They still need a little bit of fine tuning, but they are great. I say if you are considering them, just go ahead and buy them. They are worth the $150. If you have any questions, just ask. I am not to good a writing reviews, so....

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Any details on how they're working? How is the low end extension? How accurate and precise are they? Are the tweeters nice and bright without being harsh? Crossovers provide seamless integration between low end and high end? Too much treble/bass? (Remember it takes a while to break in most woofers).

Remember...these are like the low end bottom of the barrel CDT's. Imagine what the high end stuff sounds like.

·
Registered
370 Posts
They are working great with the amp I got for them (100 watts per channel x2 RMS). The low end extension is good. I guess they are pretty accurate and precise, but I am no expert though. The tweeters are nice and bright, not at all harsh. The crossovers seem to provide seamless integration between the low end and high end. These things are great, so that means that the higher end ones could just be greater. They are really nice considering they are like $312 if you get them for full price. If you do get a pair of them, I recommend that you don't use more than a 1/2" baffle though. If you use any more than a 1/2" baffle I don't think the trim will fit back on.

Any other questions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts