Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 taurus with duratec motor. I was out running errands a little bit ago and i was sitting in traffic and all of a sudden my engine started idling a little rough and the check engine light came on. Acceleration is slower that it was and there is a slight hesitation when the pedal is pressed. Temp hasnt changed and the fluids all look alright. It kinda sounds like one of the plugs isnt firing when i listen to it. It is still warranty from the lot that i bought it from. It covers powertrain and all that, just wanted to know what to look for. Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Shannon :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I'd just take it back to the dealer, personally. However...

The first thing you want to do is get the codes read. You can get this done at any AutoZone for free.
Once you have the codes, post back and we can give you a heads up on what the problem may be.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Check your plug wires, make sure there tight. I had issues with my wire on what I think is my number 6.

A plug wire may be bad, or the sparkplug is bad. Shouldnt be to major, but let the dealer look at it.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X+May 3 2004, 10:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Racer X @ May 3 2004, 10:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit@May 3 2004, 03:18 PM
It's under warantee. send it back and tell them what happened.
Hey, is that anything like a warranty? :p [/b][/quote]
Uh.. yeah. You know what I meant :(

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by tmonster@May 3 2004, 04:55 PM
Check your plug wires, make sure there tight. I had issues with my wire on what I think is my number 6.

A plug wire may be bad, or the sparkplug is bad. Shouldnt be to major, but let the dealer look at it.
He doesnt have plug wires, its a 2000 Duratec.

They have coil on plug design. I would guess its the spark plug coil.

Its an expensive part, so take it to the dealer. If you got one from motorcraft it would probably cost you about 120 for one coil.

-Damon

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I am looking at the front of the motor from left to right, how are the cylinders numbered, I bought it used and it didn't have the owners manual in anymore?

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
If it's anythong like the 3.8L in Vanessa, it'll be something like this...

Code:
----BACK-----
P  1--2--3  D
A           R
S  4--5--6  V
----FRONT----

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X@May 4 2004, 01:39 AM
If it's anythong like the 3.8L in Vanessa, it'll be something like this...

Code:
----BACK-----
P  1--2--3  D
A           R
S  4--5--6  V
----FRONT----
Yep, it's the same cylinder designation. The coil on plug design has also had issues in almost every car they put them in, from the SHO to the Navigator. If you wanted to check things out quickly, you could pull the number 6 plug and see what it looks like. If it looks fine, I'd just bring it back to the dealer and let them take care of it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I pulled the six plug it looked ok, at the top of the threads outside of the cylinder it looked like there was some dirty gritty looking stuff. It wa on the threads but I don't know if it did that when I took it out or not. The rubber sleeve that fits down around the plug had turned a brown color also.

B

·
0 Posts
Sounds like regular old wear and tear, let the dealer handle it. Let us know how you make out though!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm gonna take it to my dads mechanic tomorrow after work and let him hook it up on his computer to see if he can find anything further than just a misfire. I figure for only 27 bucks I can find out more or at least a second opinion. My dad has went to this guy for years and swears by him. I'll let you know what turns out from it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
after I got my codes checked auto zone the told me to try a bottle of injector cleaner because he had heard sometimes that hepled. To make a short story shorter I put some in that night which was monday or tuesday. I was gonna go to a mechanic today after work to get it hooked up to a real computer. When I got in my car after work to go my car ran smooth and no check engine light and it hasnt came on for the rest of the day. Gonna let it go for a few days and see if it comes back on.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
There will be NO difference what computer it is hooked up to. They all go off of the SAME CODE SYSTEM. If your car is throwing code XYZ then it will be code XYZ if you were to get it read at Autozone, Burgur King, or Ford...see what I mean? :p

If you have a warranty it should be FREE to get your codes read AND TO GET THE PART FIXED. Just take it in, get it fixed, and be done with it.

-Kyle

EDIT: BTW, after using the injector cleaner...if the car seems like it smooths out and regains it's power, you could disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes to make the light go out. If the light stays out then the problem is probably solved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts