Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Need alternator..

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  don2775 
#1 ·
My alternator is making a squealing noise, on it last legs. Here's my question, I found a used 130 amp one from a '96 bull with 72k miles, for 25 bucks, would this one hold up, or would it be better to go with a rebuilt one for considerably more.
Also he has an A/C compressor also for 30 bucks from same vehicle, would this be good also, or not as it has been sitting that long?

#3 ·
I agree, used would be ok.

As for me, I would pull the V regulator and brushes off and check brush length. They should be ok, and if so, put them back and go on with it. Spin it and bearings should be quiet.

If you are not familiar with how to put the brushes back in, ask and plenty here can tell U to use a paper clip.

Happy charging.

-chart-

#5 · (Edited)
My alternator is making a squealing noise, on it last legs. Here's my question, I found a used 130 amp one from a '96 bull with 72k miles, for 25 bucks, would this one hold up, or would it be better to go with a rebuilt one for considerably more.
Also he has an A/C compressor also for 30 bucks from same vehicle, would this be good also, or not as it has been sitting that long?
If you go with a used alt. see pic.

The wear item is brushes. They wear out after couple hundred thousand miles.

This is a used one for DOHC engine and I got it at half price saturday sale at a pick a part, and I have two cars it would fit. You can take out the three 5/16" or 8mm bolts and the guard comes off. Three torx screws and the regulator and brushes come off. The brushes need to reasonalby long like in the pic. Push them back in and put a paper clip, straightened through the hole in the plastic and throught the hole in the burshes and that holds them back for re installing the regulator. Pull the paper clip and brushes are back on the slip rings.

-chart-

#8 ·
Thanks everybody..I am not familiar with the brushes trick. loudsho, I do have a tight budget so, I think I will go with the used alternator. the mileage on the donor car is low enough, that it should work well for me, as I now don't drive my car daily any more as, I live close enough to my work that I walk there, so my Taurus only goes out maybe 2 days a week. Plus most Bulls around here in yards have 100,00 plus the 73k.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks everybody..I am not familiar with the brushes trick. loudsho, I do have a tight budget so, I think I will go with the used alternator. the mileage on the donor car is low enough, that it should work well for me, as I now don't drive my car daily any more as, I live close enough to my work that I walk there, so my Taurus only goes out maybe 2 days a week. Plus most Bulls around here in yards have 100,00 plus the 73k.
Added a pic of older style brush holder. I do not know when they changed but the older shown used large diameter slip rings and brushes did not last too long. Pic shows one where one brush has worn down and fell out.

Anyway, I have had 7 Taurus/Salbles, all bought used, all run many miles, all except the two present went to my daughters and then run on and on. Never had a bearing failure. Did however replace some brushes on the old style, like on my '87 and '88 that I remember. Only had 2 DOHC and I know from seeing where they are located, they are a pain. I did pull one off a '98 for a loose bearing on the shaft and it was noisy. Bought a new rotor and bearing and put it back for someone else.

And back, long ago, when alternators first came on the mass production, Chrysler was first and they put the brushes on a holder and you could change them in a few minutes, with only couple of screws. They were considered maintenance item. Ford however was sneaky. They put tape over the little hole in the housing hiding the place to put the paper clip. Clever people found out and word spread to just pull the tape off. :lol2:

Happy charging.

-chart-

#9 ·
The old one might have the bearings on the verge of breaking too... Putting a new belt on it might "do" it also. A waste of 25$ and the labor to put it on - it's not a fun thing to do by yourself and if you pay somebody is even worse.

I did get a lifetime limited warranty from Advance Auto.
They have codes for online orders (that you can pick up and return at local store) - try P20 at check out for 20% off.

#13 ·
FWIW...I just talked to the guy at the yard, he said the car has not been sitting, they just got it in last week, the man that had it went over a large bump and the frame cracked completely, you know those northern winters!!! So I think all parts should still be OK ,as it was the man's daily driver..just not too far, I'm guessing retired?

BOY wonder if he will sell the doglegs?

#16 ·
Yeah...that's what I was thinkin', it"s hard to find a low mileage Bull anywhere..all the ones around me all have 100,000 plus.
Even though I live in MI and this one is in WI, it might be worth a drive sometime to check out what I can use. Of course AFTER I get the alternator fixed.....:rolleyes2:
Maybe CD changer..if so equipped..(fingers crossed) A JBL system all speakers incl. sub.

#17 ·
Got the alternator checked and installed...all is OK There is a small bar code tag on top of the alternator..could this be the factory build code tag,?..if so it will surely last a while. I am getting the compressor next week..if al parts are this good.... I might get the power steering pump and reservior,as well. I might get some other stuff too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.