Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

Could you please advice what is possible problem of my Ford Taurus AT 97 model. Situation is when I’m running in highway like running around 100kmh and try to accelerate more (step on the gas pedal harder) but there is no reaction at first and when I release the gas and accelerate again that’s the time it will react accordingly. What seems to be the problem of my engine.

ruben

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well you have to remember... your already going about 80mph, your Vulcan engine isn't really a top end motor, so you shouldn't be expecting an instentanious power boost when your already going 80. I've topped my taurus out at 115, but i took awhile to get there.IT could be that there is nothing wrong with your vehicle, just you have higher expectations for it

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you have to remember... your already going about 80mph, your Vulcan engine isn't really a top end motor, so you shouldn't be expecting an instentanious power boost when your already going 80. I've topped my taurus out at 115, but i took awhile to get there.IT could be that there is nothing wrong with your vehicle, just you have higher expectations for it
[/b]
yes i know that! you mean that i cannot go over 100KMH? (i think) there is something wrong with my engine. its should have some reaction as i step on the gas pedal harder in my case there is no reaction at all. big engine so its has more power(3.0 V6 engine) corect me if im wrong!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well a 3.0 isn't that big of a 6 cylinder. But if your going 80, and you punch it, you should have some reaction, but not like your adding 20 lbs of boost or anything.

Check your air filter/fuel filter. Pull some of your spark plugs and check the gaps and look for any build up on them. other than that... if your car is fine in the lower rpm's and up to 80, i'd say your expectations are just way too high for a vulcan engine.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
100 km/h is 60MPH. There should be downshifting and some pick-up in power. What RPM is it turning at for you at 100 km/h?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
100 km/h is 60MPH. There should be downshifting and some pick-up in power. What RPM is it turning at for you at 100 km/h?
[/b]
2200RPM. the situation is that when i release the gas pedal and try to regain it does accelerate to normal. as it run base on the RPM. this situation happen not all times..

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
So you're driving along and you take your foot off the pedal and it won't go, but then you put your foot back on the pedal and it goes fine?

·
Registered
141 Posts
So you're driving along and you take your foot off the pedal and it won't go, but then you put your foot back on the pedal and it goes fine?
[/b]
...is that really what he's saying? lol... man... how did i miss that?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/b]
nup! you get me wrong. im driving along (highway) with the speed of 100KM/h and when i want to speed up i will step on the gas pedal(ofcourse). but instead of going fast cos i step on the gas but surprisingly nothing happen. same speed and even my RPM does not move up even my gas pedal is on the flooring. what i do is i release the gas pedal (wait for a while) and step on it again and it will turn normal. (as in i can go over 150 km/h)im just wondering what seems to be the prob.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
nup! you get me wrong. im driving along (highway) with the speed of 100KM/h and when i want to speed up i will step on the gas pedal(ofcourse). but instead of going fast cos i step on the gas but surprisingly nothing happen. same speed and even my RPM does not move up even my gas pedal is on the flooring. what i do is i release the gas pedal (wait for a while) and step on it again and it will turn normal. (as in i can go over 150 km/h)im just wondering what seems to be the prob.
[/b][/quote]

Sounds like your tranny doesn't want to down-shift.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Might be a fuel problem. Or a TPS problem. I would look at the fuel first though.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I had a similar problem in an old '90 Buick Regal that I owned. It was the Torque Converter failing. I had to very gently feather the gas at highway speeds or the TC would slip completely.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Id say the easiest thing he could do is look at his tranny fluid level. I've learned that even just low fluid could cause weird problems, plus its the most likely problem.

it could be bad fuel, bad tps, but he said it only does it the first time he steps on the gas, so maybe its an intermitant tps problem?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Id say the easiest thing he could do is look at his tranny fluid level. I've learned that even just low fluid could cause weird problems, plus its the most likely problem.

it could be bad fuel, bad tps, but he said it only does it the first time he steps on the gas, so maybe its an intermitant tps problem?
[/b]
what is tranny?

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
what is tranny?
[/b][/quote]

transmission

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
what is tranny?
[/b][/quote]

transmission
[/b][/quote]

the tranny fluid level is lil high above normal.
i will change my fuel to higher octane than the usual fuel.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
From my experience in vehicles in general,

-Broken Kickdown Cable (Do we even have a kickdown cable in the bulls?)
-Faulty TPS
-TC Failing
-Clogged/clogging Cats

-Faulty TPS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts