Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure the coil pack on my 99 Taurus SE is the cause of my cold start misfires and random misfires when idling. Can you guys recommend a brand that's OEM fit and won't break the bank?

Thanks!

P.S. I don't know if the coil pack there is original or not, but it has the Motorcraft logo on it along with the numbers for each cylinder. It looks like the attached photo, except mine has a white cover where the logo is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
QUOTE (Prismatic @ May 31 2010, 01:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808028
I'm pretty sure the coil pack on my 99 Taurus SE is the cause of my cold start misfires and random misfires when idling. Can you guys recommend a brand that's OEM fit and won't break the bank?

Thanks!

P.S. I don't know if the coil pack there is original or not, but it has the Motorcraft logo on it along with the numbers for each cylinder. It looks like the attached photo, except mine has a white cover where the logo is.[/b]
I'm not sure the brand really matters when it comes to the coil pack. I replaced mine a while ago and at the time couldn't wait for it. Ended up getting it at Autozone. About 30k later, it's still working fine. Might be cheaper at rockauto if you can wait for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (HenrySel @ May 31 2010, 03:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808038
QUOTE (Prismatic @ May 31 2010, 01:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808028

Thanks!

P.S. I don't know if the coil pack there is original or not, but it has the Motorcraft logo on it along with the numbers for each cylinder. It looks like the attached photo, except mine has a white cover where the logo is.[/b]
I'm not sure the brand really matters when it comes to the coil pack. I replaced mine a while ago and at the time couldn't wait for it. Ended up getting it at Autozone. About 30k later, it's still working fine. Might be cheaper at rockauto if you can wait for it.
[/b][/quote]

I'm parting out a 97. I still have the coil p/n# F5SU-12029-AA. $10 plus shipping if you're interested.
-Ben

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
There are performance coils at Shosource. I would stay away from the accel coilpack, but the MSD is supposed to be good, or you can stick with Motorcraft.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (Prismatic @ May 30 2010, 10:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808028

Thanks!

I also have a 1999 Taurus 6 cylinder 3.0 SE. Found a misfire in #6 and car has over 165,000 miles on original plugs (I got the car as is) so I just installed Iridiums and a new wiring kit and coil. It was recommended that since I was replacing the plugs and wires that the coil should be replaced as well, and given the year of vehicle and the mileage already on her I decided to go the whole route. Total cost of everything was $78.00. Yes, the coil is white and you can get it at any AutoZone. It costs $12-$17 less than anyone else and it is the same. Just make sure you don't get the black one. Mine cost $22 and change. Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Try rockauto.com You can also find them on Ebay.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Try to stick to Motorcraft when it comes to the coil. Aftermarket coils tend to suck on these cars. Even supposed "Performance" coils such as Accel are terrible quality.

The only 2 names that should be synonymous with this vehicle's ignition system is Motorcraft or Screaming Demon.

AFAIK MSD doesn't offer a coil.

·
Registered
68 Posts
QUOTE (Prismatic @ May 30 2010, 10:21 PM)

I also have a 1999 Taurus 6 cylinder 3.0 SE. Found a misfire in #6 and car has over 165,000 miles on original plugs (I got the car as is) so I just installed Iridiums and a new wiring kit and coil. It was recommended that since I was replacing the plugs and wires that the coil should be replaced as well, and given the year of vehicle and the mileage already on her I decided to go the whole route. Total cost of everything was $78.00. Yes, the coil is white and you can get it at any AutoZone. It costs $12-$17 less than anyone else and it is the same. Just make sure you don't get the black one. Mine cost $22 and change. Hope this helps.:)
Your coil was only $22 at Autozone? Do you have a part # for it? I'm assuming it was in a Duralast box, correct? Thanks,

·
Registered
670 Posts
Go with the Motorcraft. You know it will be a quality OEM replacement and won't have to worry about it being cheap or made incompatible for the setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts