Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got nasty coolant leak and after adding dye I located the source of my problems (check out the photo). You can easily see green dye on the hose. This image is showing coolant hose, next to the firewall. Photo is taken from drivers side. Does anyone have idea what is the name of this hose? What should I order? How difficult is to replace this with new one?

Thanks,
Klikerko

Attachments

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Replace the metal tubes and hoses with rubber hoses and tee and elbow fittings as needed from your favorite local parts store. With the correct fittings you can duplicate the original configuration for less money than the dealer wants for the hose assembly.

Use the search function - there are numerous posts regarding this problem. And you didn't need leak check dye to find that!!!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Holy fk, your car's going to have a nuclear meltdown! Now's your chance to become a superhero! Go find a spider or something!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks RDH2, I will check what I can find. I just hope this can be done in my home garage.

Qwertz, car is in meltdown stage since I bough it... bitter, yellow, lemon, meltdown stage....

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i really cant believe how many of these stupid things have gone out this summer!! this has got to be like number what? 10 or something just in the last like 3 or 4 months... but as i posted in another thread yesterday just replace them with rubber hoses from your local parts store like i did. search for the thread "getting to work on the sable" and see how i did mine i dont have the T but same concept

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
on my car i had 5/8 on the heater core and on the thermostat housing and then the last connection was 3/4 but i have the duratec so i would try and measure yours to be certain

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tomorrow will try to find the hose and connectors. I don't have a garage so this will be done on parking lot, thus I don't think this will be nice job as yours but I just need drivable car. Will post results. Wish me luck ;)

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
eh i did my hoses in my back yard... and i did my heater core in my driveway... not too bad i prefer it in fact fro jobs like this because you get much better lighting outside

·
Registered
754 Posts
QUOTE (Klikerko @ Jul 20 2009, 08:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740871
I got nasty coolant leak and after adding dye I located the source of my problems (check out the photo). You can easily see green dye on the hose. This image is showing coolant hose, next to the firewall. Photo is taken from drivers side. Does anyone have idea what is the name of this hose? What should I order? How difficult is to replace this with new one?

Thanks,
Klikerko[/b]
Holy crap!...& I thought thought mine looked bad when it went pear-shaped. Dealer charged me a ridiculous amount for that painted steel tubing contraption ($80 something if I remember right). I was gonna do the rubber hose route but chickened out...just seemed like too many connections, ells, couplers etc. that could leak eventually. The replacement is already showing major signs of corrosion...even with scrupulous attention to yearly coolant changes. I think its corroding from the outside in. I live two blocks from the beach...so maybe that's to blame. I'm no engineer but it seems to me that aluminum would be a better choice of metals than steel in that application. Getting that thing off the firewall was an exercise in cussing. TIP: Don't pull off your heater core nipples like I did (& then of course needed a new heater core--OUCH!). Next time: all rubber heater hoses. (I'm going outside to slather mine up with vaseline now...the steel tubing I mean of course)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Two Stooges,

I just finished rubber hose routing today. Tomorrow I will assemble all removed parts from air intake and maybe have a time to test the car. I will let you know what I have done... and post some photos of course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys,

With the help from this forum I was successful in repairing rusted heater hose. I decided not to buy new part from dealership because it is very expensive and it is made of metal. I'm sure that would rust again so I decided to play around little bit.

I went to auto parts store and bought 4 meters (12 foot) of heater hose. Then I went to home improvement store and both brass couplings, clamps, etc... Total price for everything was about $25. Unfortunately I had to do this repair on building parking lot where repairs are not allowed. I have a very nice landlord (Thank you Dana!) so she allowed me, but anyway I couldn't spend enough time and focus on this enough to do this as I really wanted. So, my goal this time was just to make it work. Whole job took about 5 hours. It has been a week now since I finished this repair and there is no leaks. Take a look at attachment for a photo of the final product.

I have one more question. Is it normal for a coolant level to raise 2cm (3/4 inch) when it is hot?

Thanks everyone on your help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Mine certainly rises in the tank, definitely above the cold level.

Nice work on the low cost fix! Beats paying for a part that will fail again in X years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm pretty sure I have the same issue:

Can anyone tell me the exact amount of brass couplings, etc I would need to accomplish this task? What special tools, if any, I would need? What components I would need to remove to easily perform this fix?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts