Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
He did the 'ol Ricky Bobby Talladega Nights run for the finish.......one way to shake off the nerves from a ride like that. That ride reminds me so much of the time Bobby Allison cut a tire in the same area, the fence still held, but he actually took down about 1oo feet of fence then. The important thing also is the driver walked away and ONLY 7 spectators were treated for "minor" injuries. Considering how it could have turned out, the worst of the injuries was a broken jaw from flying fence pieces. Some small pieces of the car made it to the stands, but nothing to big. NASCAR also had the injured people treated at the track and the one with the broken jaw was flown out to avoid the traffic.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
After seeing the crash happen live, and reading all the "commentary" about it by the "experts," I believe Carl was right when he said that they need to remove the restrictor plate for these races. It does allow the cars to carry greater speed, which is a big risk, but the biggest risk is allowing those cars to run together in 30 car packs where just one wrong move could destroy millions of dollars of cars, and also destroy someone's life, at the same time.

I've seen some pretty nasty wrecks at Talledega, including Bobby Allison's, and another where a driver (can't remember when or who) actually flipped over the turn 3 wall, and down the embankment nine stories. He walked away from it. The cars are plenty safe to do the higher speeds, and it will, in my opinion, make the races safer because it'll stretch the field out more.

Hopefully the France family ends their tyrannical rule soon, and we can get some decent rules changes in that will increase the competition, not decrease or hinder it, like they've done in the past several years.

JR

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (godspunk32 @ Apr 28 2009, 07:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721222
After seeing the crash happen live, and reading all the "commentary" about it by the "experts," I believe Carl was right when he said that they need to remove the restrictor plate for these races. It does allow the cars to carry greater speed, which is a big risk, but the biggest risk is allowing those cars to run together in 30 car packs where just one wrong move could destroy millions of dollars of cars, and also destroy someone's life, at the same time.

I've seen some pretty nasty wrecks at Talledega, including Bobby Allison's, and another where a driver (can't remember when or who) actually flipped over the turn 3 wall, and down the embankment nine stories. He walked away from it. The cars are plenty safe to do the higher speeds, and it will, in my opinion, make the races safer because it'll stretch the field out more.

Hopefully the France family ends their tyrannical rule soon, and we can get some decent rules changes in that will increase the competition, not decrease or hinder it, like they've done in the past several years.

JR[/b]
JR
i'm not an nascar expert but from what people were saying at this track cars can be as much as 5
wide in turns. now if the plates are not used won't cars be running in tight bunches too, i mean with the
plate they can do 160 every car can go upto 160, without the plate they can do 180 and every car
can do that speed. so wouldn't they still be bunched together?

still a crazy sport although i would to experience driving an oval at 180.

i

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
QUOTE (risoworker @ Apr 28 2009, 08:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721224

JR[/b]
JR
i'm not an nascar expert but from what people were saying at this track cars can be as much as 5
wide in turns. now if the plates are not used won't cars be running in tight bunches too, i mean with the
plate they can do 160 every car can go upto 160, without the plate they can do 180 and every car
can do that speed. so wouldn't they still be bunched together?

still a crazy sport although i would to experience driving an oval at 180.

i
[/b][/quote]
Actually, at 'dega, they're hitting 200 in tight drafting. The lap record at Talledega is something like 212 plus change.

With the plate, they're all down on power, so no one has the ability to pull away from the pack, hence, they're all bunched, and running 4 or 5 wide in the turns. While it makes for good racing, it also makes for good accidents, as no one has anywhere to go, and a blown tire or a piece of debris could wreck the entire field.

Without the plate, the cars have additional power, which they can use to pull away and to spread the pack out significantly, so while you aren't seeing five wide racing, you also won't see ridiculous crashes that destroy half the field.

JR

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so the plate keeps everything fair for all and the no plate still allows for some "power surges".

still i would **** a brick hitting a wall at 200 and then getting air. :huh: :lol2: :lol2:

i'll stick to my first assumption. i would still be crying like a school girl. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
NASCAR will keep it the way it is until someone does die or becomes seriously injured, like Carl Edwards said. Face it, wrecks mean television ratings going up and people talk about it and more people watch next year. Hell I love NASCAR to death but sometimes a wreck breaks up the monotonous 3-4 hour marathon bore fests that they so often are these days. I too would like to see the plates taken off but we all know that the France family will do nothing about it. Kind of ironic that the plates were put on in the first place because someone died in a wreck. The drivers always put up a big stink every year about the safety of Talladega and every year NASCAR just turns their head and pretends they heard nothing. Hopefully something will change in the future but I am not sure how soon it will be.

OH yeah, Go Kasey Kahne

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I hope it does change soon - I agree entirely with what Carl (and JR above) said, but I don't really have high hopes they they'll learn from someone dying or getting seriously hurt until the people making the rules change.

The COT is a good step forward on the safety front (and so is the SAFER Barrier), but neither addresses the root cause of the accidents that can end up killing someone. We're still watching racing the same as its been the entire restrictor plate era with huge bunched up packs with zero margin for error - if someone makes a mistake or blows a tire, most of the time, there is going to be a huge accident. They didn't learn last time someone died in a plate race in 2001.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
As much as even drivers like to put on a show about 'things will change when someone dies', restrictor plate races are the few races that are still viable in a recession market. They need these exciting (let's just use that as a general term right now) races or they don't get viewers, sponsors, or paychecks. Face it, there are just not that many people into watching the short ovals or the road coarses.

Just look at how many Americans actually care about F1. Those races are awesome for a real race enthusiast, but for the average sports viewer who would prefer a 30-29 baseball game with a walk-off grand slam over a 1-0 pitcher's duel where the run was played in on small ball, you need cars 5 wide into the turns and some huge wrecks to hold their attention.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I also agree that something needs to be done other than restrictor plates, but the problem comes down to NASCAR wanting to keep the same equipment they have been using for years. There has been talk of going to V-6 motors to Daytona and Talladega, NASCAR says it would cost to much. But the teams suppling the "leased" motors have a crew who do nothing but test and build plate motors all year. Roush, Hendrick, and DEI allhave full time plate departments for 4 races a year and they "lease" motors to other teams, just like the winning motor sunday, that was a Hendrick motor. There has also been outside talk of trying to get the banks dropped at both tracks, NASCAR says they dont want to "take away from the history" of those tracks and end up racing in "flat parking lots". I remember the days of no plate racing, the packs were still there, they just werent as big and they still had "the big one". I do enjoy plate races, I can also understand how the drivers hate it becasue they are in such tight bunches and cant do anything about it, maybe V-6's are an idea they should look into. Smaller C.I.D. with no plate will slow them down, but Daytona and Talladega is all about speed to, so they will loose viewes with slower cars. Nothing is going to make any form of racing 100% safe, if they did it would be like watching bumper cars at the fair, but someone will still get hurt somehow i'm sure.
I have seen cars flip and go into the stands at local short tracks at 1/3 the speed of NASCAR, its going to happen no matter what if the conditions are right. I saw cars going over back in the 60's at the local track.
[attachment=29323:Roy_Gemberling.jpg]
The driver walked away from this, and that was high tech safty then..LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts

JR[/b]
The problem is that not having a restrictor plate, there is a problem with control at higher speeds. If you want the Big One to be even bigger and more dangerous, yeah no restrictor plate would be the way to go, but safety is priority in NASCAR.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Honestly I am not surprised at all at the fact that he walked away. Since Dale, Sr.'s death, NASCAR got the idea that they need to make these cars safer, the cars were no longer the all steel monsters they used to race.

Safety is constantly being improved, but it is far from perfection. Most of you are all worried about the drivers and that is legitimate, but also the fans are needing more safety.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I will not take NASCAR serious until they modernize a little bit. Maybe they can upgrade to 80s technology.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
QUOTE (Millermagic @ Apr 29 2009, 05:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721712
I will not take NASCAR serious until they modernize a little bit. Maybe they can upgrade to 80s technology.[/b]
Well, then your going to love this one. There is talk from both Goodyear and NASCAR to go to a different size wheel / tire combo....LOL. I can see it now, a field of 43 cars all on 22" rims with spinners. :lol2: Seriously, Goodyear is trying to get NASCAR to cut down on the sidewall size. The wheel / tire combo they run now is the same one they started running back in the late 60's.

·
Registered
119 Posts
QUOTE (Millermagic @ Apr 29 2009, 06:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721712
I will not take NASCAR serious until they modernize a little bit. Maybe they can upgrade to 80s technology.[/b]
What? :huh: Are you serious. NASCAR is the reason for advancements in the automotive industry. The EasyFuel capless deal on the Fords. NASCAR has been using them for years. NASCAR is not low tech. They use some sophisticated stuff. Most obviously can't be used for modern cars, but stuff like aerodynamics, capless fuel fillers, and all that good stuff are looked at and applied to the real world.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
QUOTE (rambuck @ May 1 2009, 11:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=722325
QUOTE (Millermagic @ Apr 29 2009, 06:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721712
What? :huh: Are you serious. NASCAR is the reason for advancements in the automotive industry. The EasyFuel capless deal on the Fords. NASCAR has been using them for years. NASCAR is not low tech. They use some sophisticated stuff. Most obviously can't be used for modern cars, but stuff like aerodynamics, capless fuel fillers, and all that good stuff are looked at and applied to the real world.
[/b][/quote]

why are they using carburetors and 60s suspensions? Use T/C and ABS and all the other BS that comes on new cars

1 - 20 of 25 Posts