Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined Napster and bought about 4 hours worth of music but can't get them to burn. I keep getting an error about a part of the software napster uses to burn isn't working or isn't installed. I reinstalled and reinstalled and reinstalled and emailed Cust. Sup. but they just said to reinstall. I don't have all privileges at work so is there something that the Admin needs to do for me to get this done? It sure would be nice to be able to listen to some good music on my way home from work.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I dont use napster.

Just get Kazaa. Its free, you can download anything for free. And everything burns just fine. And of course, for free. I have alot of programs, videos, software pictures, etc. that I have downloaded and have never paid for it. That is the way you should go.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Try out Nero Express. It works where basically everything else doesn't. You can also download musicmatch jukebox and use their native burning rom. The first five burns with the good rom are free, then you need to buy musicmatch plus for 20 bucks to have unlimited use of the rom.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I've got napster... when you go to burn a CD, do it through napster, not through a seperate program, it won't let you. You can download the files to your computer, but you have to go through the napster program to burn them... hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using a different service right now isn't an option. I've already bought the tracks. I know I can't burn them with Nero and the problem is when I try to burn through Napster. It keeps telling me there is a problem with the software or it wasn't installed correctly.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I got nothing...other than...how good are you with hardware? You could try opening your case and disconnecting all the cables from your cd-rw, then starting the computer, shutting it down, reconnecting the cables, and restarting the computer. The computer should then recognize the burner again and reinstall, which may fix the problem.

By the way...I need info on software and hardware, ie: operating system, type and model of burner, firmware information for the burner, etc.

JR

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@May 17 2004, 09:36 AM
I got nothing...other than...how good are you with hardware?  You could try opening your case and disconnecting all the cables from your cd-rw, then starting the computer, shutting it down, reconnecting the cables, and restarting the computer.  The computer should then recognize the burner again and reinstall, which may fix the problem.

By the way...I need info on software and hardware, ie: operating system, type and model of burner, firmware information for the burner, etc.

JR
And while this is a good idea, an even better idea would be to...

1. Start>Run>"regedit"
2. Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\IDE\

In this Key, you will find the names of every device you've ever connected to your IDE channels.

3. Right click on the IDE folder, select export, and save the file on the desktop. This is just incase you fubar and delete something important, like a hard drive.
4. Anything that's named CD-RW, delete. Right-click on it, select delete, and click yes.
5. Reboot your computer.

When the machine reboots, it will redetect and reinstall your drives. After this is done, it may ask you to reboot again. If so, do so.

You have now done what godspunk just recommeded to do, but without once opening your computer! You deserve a banana for that! :banana:

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
i use napster all the time (which is now a leagl service where you pay just like i tunes) and i store the tracks on my hard drive and burn them via roxio cd creator all the time. it may be that napster does not like nero but my roxio and napster seemd to work well and i lik the roxio ce creator much better than nero (which i used to use) anyhow i am a regualr napster downloader and it works fine all i can say is download the roxio cd creator and see if the works....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by justmack@May 16 2004, 01:22 AM
Try using iTunes. It is a legal way of downloading music, and it organizes and burns your songs to CD.
I got a bunch of those free songs from the pepsi caps downloaded on my computer via iTunes. Too bad they're some protected "aac" file or something. I can't even export them out iTunes....much less burn them which was 80% of my reason for going through the trouble. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Racer X+May 17 2004, 11:19 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Racer X @ May 17 2004, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32@May 17 2004, 09:36 AM
I got nothing...other than...how good are you with hardware?  You could try opening your case and disconnecting all the cables from your cd-rw, then starting the computer, shutting it down, reconnecting the cables, and restarting the computer.  The computer should then recognize the burner again and reinstall, which may fix the problem.

JR
And while this is a good idea, an even better idea would be to...

1. Start>Run>"regedit"
2. Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\IDE\

In this Key, you will find the names of every device you've ever connected to your IDE channels.

3. Right click on the IDE folder, select export, and save the file on the desktop. This is just incase you fubar and delete something important, like a hard drive.
4. Anything that's named CD-RW, delete. Right-click on it, select delete, and click yes.
5. Reboot your computer.

When the machine reboots, it will redetect and reinstall your drives. After this is done, it may ask you to reboot again. If so, do so.

You have now done what godspunk just recommeded to do, but without once opening your computer! You deserve a banana for that! :banana: [/b][/quote]
If the IT guys knew I even thought about doing something like that I'd be toast. I sent another help question to Napster to see if they have any other advice.

Also, the burner works fine, just not with Napster. WTF. If I knew I would have this much trouble I would've just bought the cd's at the store.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
my sister has had trouble burning with napster too... it'll only burn 2 or 3 songs from her list of 15 and quits. I do know that Napster had some bugs that they had to fix, I got an email about it from Penn State, but it might have just been with the service deal with PSU

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ah, DRM. Isn't it awesome? I think you'll be able to start listening to protected AAC files soon in other players, however, as Apple just released an iTunes SDK for Windows. Not that you need to use other players because iTunes is the best ever.

/Resident Mac Geek

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would wager that its not properly installed because you're not loged in as 'root' (to use unix term) or admin as they call it in PC world. The installer might not have the access and not be able to install the files it needs to when isntalling the software. That may be why it keeps telling you to re-install. You might need to have the IT people deal with it (install napster software), I'm sure that wont be fun at all. I'd say its either because you arent logged in as admin or there are compatibility issues with your hardware. If its a compatibility issue you're screwed and hope they release a patch to fix it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts