Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered KYB strut plus assemblies, and Moog metal front end links (with zerk fittings) online, and I'm going to buy the front brake parts locally. The ones I'm interested in are Napa Ultra Premium rotors, part # UP 86749, and front ceramic pads, Napa Safety Stop, part # SS SS7476X. Has anybody used these before? The rotors I'm looking for must be the no-turn out of the box type, as I don't care to turn them when new. Any warping issues with the Napa premium rotors? I don't care for what Autozone has to offer with their brake line, sounds like "made in China" cheap to me, as with many of their other parts. I also have O'Reillys, and Advance auto parts within a few blocks of me, Pep Boys is also nearby.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm running Napa Safety Stop pads and Napa Premium rotors front and rear on my "06 Taurus and they've performed nicely so far. The pads I have are the semi metallic instead of the ceramic so they squeal.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I always like Napa's brakes, seemed like they were finished better than most. I think their rotors are United Brake Parts (as well as other parts - which is where the "UP" part numbers originated) and their pads/shoes were in-house manufactured by their Rayloc division.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've got AutoZone's cheapest rotors and their most expensive pads. My car probably stops better than when it was brand new.

·
Registered
587 Posts
i just finished putting wearever rotors with duralast pads all from advance auto parts and havent had any issues.

i used the lower end wearevers the silvers pads and my rims are black of cousre. that what i get for going cheap this was because i plan to replace the rotors and every thing and will do the pads agin when i do that. any ways i got wagner golds on my taurus and it stop awesome. i have been staying away from ceramics. since i had bosh ceramics make a grinding noise every time i replaced them with those brand and type of pads. on my parents focus it did not make the pedal paulseate. but they would fade out and not stop as well just thought i would say that over time. kinda like if the rotors etc were glazed with junk.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Napa rotors and pads are good as long as you get OEM equivalent. The nice thing about the Ultra Premium rotors is that they now have a coating on the center of the rotor so that it won't turn rusty right away. Plus they have a two year warranty against "being out of turn" (warped). The SS/UP/AD pads all have a lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects too. If your looking to save some cash the premium rotors are pretty decent. They only have a 1 year warranty. Supposedly the difference is that they contain less metal (nickel) but I've never seen it stated anywhere. I would definitely not get the TS pads, they suck big time. Tons of brake dust and plenty of noise. My personal preference has always been the UP rotors with the AD ceramic pads. Hardly any brake dust and they perform quite well.

Of course you could always get Police duty pads for your taurus if you wanted too. That would be the UP pads with the SD at the end of the part number (for Severe Duty)

Word to the wise, Napa recently changed brake suppliers for drums. We have been seeing alot of warranty claims regarding them. Quite a few have been bad brand new out of the box. If you do decide to go with napa drums don't hesistate to take them back if you have any problems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i used the lower end wearevers the silvers pads and my rims are black of cousre. that what i get for going cheap this was because i plan to replace the rotors and every thing and will do the pads agin when i do that. any ways i got wagner golds on my taurus and it stop awesome. i have been staying away from ceramics. since i had bosh ceramics make a grinding noise every time i replaced them with those brand and type of pads. on my parents focus it did not make the pedal paulseate. but they would fade out and not stop as well just thought i would say that over time. kinda like if the rotors etc were glazed with junk.
i agree with you on the wearever silvers. i put them on my mustang 5.0 after my hawk pads needed replacing. they sucked a$$ and made noise. after i tried wearever gold and it was a huge improvement.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like the Napa ones I was thinking about are a good choice after all. I used Raybestos products in the past and was happy, but most (if not all) local parts stores around here don't carry that brand. This is the first brake job on this car, with 111k. The factory ceramic pads still have life left, but the rotors are getting warped, since I'm taking the brakes off to replace the struts and endlinks, I'm going to put new brakes on. Monday I'll order the rotors from Napa (they don't always keep those rotors in stock). I already got the endlinks from rockauto (very fast shipping), still waiting on the struts from tirerack. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm using Hawk pads on replacement rotors and like them a lot better than whatever came w/ the car (used). I think R-M pads are the worst. Brakes make noise when they are: 1. Abused2. Installed poorly.That is all. New car's #1 call-backs are for noisy brakes. That's why OE pads are soft, which reduces the vibes that cause noise. But, of course, soft pads also reduce wear & performance.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought the Napa Ultra Premuim rotors, but I bought the Adaptive One pads instead, as I found some great reviews on them, Mustang and Corvette owners seem to also love those pads, as well as some cities use them on their police interceptors. All are going on the car Monday, as well as the KYB strut pluses, and Moog end links w/zerk fittings. It'll be nice not to have all these front end noises anymore.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I bought the Napa Ultra Premuim rotors, but I bought the Adaptive One pads instead, as I found some great reviews on them, Mustang and Corvette owners seem to also love those pads, as well as some cities use them on their police interceptors. All are going on the car Monday, as well as the KYB strut pluses, and Moog end links w/zerk fittings. It'll be nice not to have all these front end noises anymore.
well the ultra premium rotors have a two year warranty against "being out of turn" as they are supposed to be no turn rotors. So if they start "pulsing" or what not, don't hesitate to take them back and have them warrantied. The adaptive one pads have a lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects.

Point is, be sure to save your recipts.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Point is, be sure to save your recipts.
I save all my reciepts, have a file of them since I bought the car, and I'm not letting anybody near my car with a air wrench. I will post back and let everybody know how the KYB strut pluses, and Napa brakes are doing on my car.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, last week I put the struts, brakes, and end links on, what a difference! The car rides better than when it had 25k on it. I found I had to unbolt the control arm to put the new struts in, due to the shape of the tab compaired to the old one. So far I like the adaptive one pads, don't know about their full performance, since they're still seating into the rotors, but so far they stop good and without noise. I'm going to do the rear struts soon, as Ford put springs that are too soft back there. I never carried any heavy items back there, or even people for that matter, but when I accelerate, the back end sinks and nose goes up. The rears I think I'm going KYB GR2 struts, but with moog heavy duty variable rate springs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
anyone use the OEM brake rotors and pads from the dealer? I realize they are gonna be expensive, but don't know how expensive.

But I think the next pad/rotor change is gonna be OEM service parts, with the hope that they last as long as the original parts on the car. I didn't have to change them out til nearly 90K miles.

Seems like every Napa, Murrays, or Autozone brake job I've done only lasts 15K-22K miles before either the pads wear down and/or the rotors warp.

I figure that if I can get the OEM parts for the price of 2 sets of aftermarket brake parts and they last as long as OEM, then it is worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I have never bought dealer pads & rotors just becasue of the cost factor. Call me crazy, but I change my brakes on all 4 wheels every 2 years no matter what. Every other April / May I replace pads & rotors. I buy the cheap autozone rotors and have upgraded to the highest quality pads they carry. I have found that cheap pad / rotor combinations are no good, lots of build up on the rotor (warped rotor syndrome) and are dirty as well. With the highest grade pads, they hold up better and are not as dirty (brake dust & deposits on the rotor).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts