Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Long time reader, first time poster. 2007 Ford Taurus Vulcan.

I was just wondering what this part is (pic) and what it does. Im curious because ive had some a/c problems in the past and I was wondering if this was a heater control valve. Now that I see it has no visible coolant hoses attached, I very much doubt thats what it is.

Ive seen them look like this with the cable that controls them.

I would also like to know what it is because the cable attached to it might be missing a fastener. I can pick the cable up and remove it.

The part is located on top of the transmission and under the brake fluid reservoir.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
There is no heater control valve. Hot coolant flows thru the heater core at all times. I cant recall a US made car having a heater control valve since the early 70s.

What AC issues are you having?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The Lincoln LS with the V8 is the only US car I know that has a heater control valve...

Like Jeff asked...what kinda AC issues do you have?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
TRS (Transmission Range Sensor)
Symptoms (Each bullet point is a symptom that doesn't necessarily happen at the same time):

• Loss of power steering assist, all window controls (none are lit up), rear window defrost controls, half of the MFS controls (only Hi, Lo, and turn signals work), and radio only when car is in R, (D), D, and 1. Everything functions fine when put into P or N.
  • Transmission randomly downshifts/upshifts suddenly while driving.

Symptoms, TSB, and Repair
Additional Info
TRS Alignment Procedure
TRS Alignment Shortcut
TRS Wiring Harness Pin-Out
TRS Wiring Pin-Out (AX4N)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, everyone for the information.

The a/c problem actually ended up being the blend door actuator. It took me a while to find out what it was. My compressor would cycle on and off regularly. My blower fan/motor worked. But still, it would blow only semi cool air. I finally took it to a shop and they quoted me $900.00 to replace teh actuator. (WTF!)

Atleast I got the right diagnosis by taking it to him. I bought the part on amazon for $32.00 and put it in myself in 10 minutes.

As for the Transmission Range Sensor, should I be worried that it might be missing a fastener? Does the cable move the sensor somehow?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I don't see any fasteners missing on top of the TRS. Prop up a video camera to view that area. Go to the car, put the car in 'run' not start. Shift through the gears. You'll see how that lever changes the gear. The physical TRS does not move at all, just a wheel with teeth inside does.

·
Registered
7 Posts

The a/c problem actually ended up being the blend door actuator. It took me a while to find out what it was. My compressor would cycle on and off regularly. My blower fan/motor worked. But still, it would blow only semi cool air. I finally took it to a shop and they quoted me $900.00 to replace teh actuator. (WTF!)

Atleast I got the right diagnosis by taking it to him. I bought the part on amazon for $32.00 and put it in myself in 10 minutes.

As for the Transmission Range Sensor, should I be worried that it might be missing a fastener? Does the cable move the sensor somehow?
me also, i don't see any fastener on the picture, if you could just capture it closely.

regards,

darren
========================================

"always use genuine part of the car with this transmission range sensor"

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts

:bananafuck: MAN..... talk about raping the customers. I hope that you laughed in his face and told him where he can go. I do see that you fixed it yourself so that's a good thing!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:bananafuck: MAN..... talk about raping the customers. I hope that you laughed in his face and told him where he can go. I do see that you fixed it yourself so that's a good thing!

To be fair, but not really. He said $300 if its just the actuator and "up to $900 if the actual blend door is broken"

I always go home after being given an estimate / diagnosis and do some research online to see if its something I can do myself and if they're over charging.

As for the transmission range sensor, im planning on taking some more pictures or perhaps doing a video on what I mean by missing fastener. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Operation pics / video

Okay I went out and took some pictures of my TRS and some video of how it operates.

The first picture is actually how I found it when I opened the hood :eek:. That can't be normal.

The other 2 pictures show how I can just lift the cable straight up off the bracket.

It would be cool if someone can get a picture of how its supposed to look like and what kind of fastener/nut size I need to put on there.

Here is the video showing the operation as I go down all the gears.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts