Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2004 Ford Taurus DOHC . I have a leak but I do not know what the name of this part is. I thought I could replace it with the tee shape in the middle but my friend who was going to do it for me says every tee I bought was not the right size. Which I see now because the top is one size but the bottom is smaller. The bottom hose curves to the throttle body. Any information will help. It's the rusty part to the right of the intake manifold and the throttle body. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello, I have a 2004 Ford Taurus DOHC . I have a leak but I do not know what the name of this part is. I thought I could replace it with the tee shape in the middle but my friend who was going to do it for me says every tee I bought was not the right size. Which I see now because the top is one size but the bottom is smaller. The bottom hose curves to the throttle body. Any information will help. It's the rusty part to the right of the intake manifold and the throttle body. Thanks
That T-assembly is part of the upper radiator hose. I did mine a couple of years ago. The Gates 23089 from RockAuto.com worked fine for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The cooling system on the DOHC can be a major PITA to work on. I did a lot of work on mine within the past year. Hoses, WP, TSTAT. Some advice: As much as possible, order the factory pre-made parts, it's more money, but less work. If one hose is crunchy/brittle/metal rusted, then it's likely several are in a similar state. Do the work in stages. The special pliers to remove those factory hose clamps are a MUST. Some of those are clamps are best cut off with a dremel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, it was much needed. I rather pay the money and keep riding than to have to keep replacing the same parts!

·
Super Moderator
8,110 Posts
"The cooling system on the DOHC can be a major PITA to work on."

Yup!
A few years ago I had to replace the water pump on my 05 SEL Premium Duratec 30. Took me darn near an entire day. Compare that to the last time I replaced the WP on my 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe 2.3 SOHC which took me half an hour including draining and refilling the cooling system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can’t help you, and it wouldn’t surprise me is one side was Metric and the other side was S.A.E. I recommend you go to NAPA and bring your VIN # BION, when and where your Taurus was built can cause all sorts of issues when it comes to the correct parts. BTW what does DOHC mean and is it common on Ford engines these days.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
DOHC is Double Overhead Cam. As in two cams on each bank. The Vulcan uses single cam, pushrods, and rockers to activate the valves. OHC uses a very long timing chain and the cam is over the valves in the head. Less friction, lets you rev higher. Most newer cars are OHC. You can have one or two cams per bank. SOHC usually means one over head cam.
Two overhead cams means hemi or semi-hemi design for free flow of air.
-chart-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, DOHC means dual overhead camshaft if im not mistaken. All I know is that it makes a difference when buying certain parts. Honestly, I ended up getting a heater hose whole assembly. Which I didn't mind, the whole thing probably needed to be replace. It has that whole " T" shape set up in the picture, the hose that goes towards the radiator hose and the small hose that goes into the bottom of the throttle body. The mechanic says that he replaced some switch underneath the pipe where water has been hitting it for a while. It caused my car to hesitate while accelerating when riding and it cuts off as soon as you make a stop. Not good for traffic.... Now I don't have that problem and he will be replacing the heater hose this weekend. And thanks chartmaker for the explanation, I only knew what the letters stand for but not what it meant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just giving an update. I found the part on Partsgeek.com. It was around $160 and came with the whole heater hose assembly. I really only wanted the very left part but I prefer getting it all replaced. Every thing is working fine, so far so good. No leaks

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts