Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've got a 97 Taurus with the 3.0L v6 OHV. I recently finished a major overhaul of the engine, suspension, brakes, fuel system. I find myself left with a bracket that I am fairly certain is attached to the alternator in some way but I can't quite figure it out. A few pictures of the bracket below. Any hints would be much appreciated.

Thanks, - Troy

·
Registered
197 Posts
No. The one at the alternator, at this picture just left of the alternator:

Overview.jpg

is much larger and has a 90-degree twisted connection to the anti-roll bar.
Question remains what this mystery bracket is doing there. The only explanation I can come up with is that it prevents a resonance. On the other side of the engine you have something similar: a large steel bar between the rear (right) cylinder head and the throttle body. It's not like the throttle body, with 4 bolts attached to the upper intake, needs additional support. I think it has the same purpose: prevent a resonance at certain RPMs of the cylinder-head/lower-intake/upper-intake/throttle-body system.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
No. The one at the alternator, at this picture just left of the alternator:

View attachment 217834

is much larger and has a 90-degree twisted connection to the anti-roll bar.
Question remains what this mystery bracket is doing there. The only explanation I can come up with is that it prevents a resonance. On the other side of the engine you have something similar: a large steel bar between the rear (right) cylinder head and the throttle body. It's not like the throttle body, with 4 bolts attached to the upper intake, needs additional support. I think it has the same purpose: prevent a resonance at certain RPMs of the cylinder-head/lower-intake/upper-intake/throttle-body system.
It's not really a mystery bracket, it's just extra reinforcement for the A/C compressor assembly to prevent excess movement when the clutch engages and disengages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts