Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Lately I've been having some cooling system related issues with my 2001 Taurus (3.0L DOHC engine). I got most of the plumbing replaced a few weeks ago because of constant coolant leaks in the various hoses to/from the radiator and recovery tank, and for a while the engine was running smoothly. However, now when I drive my car for more than 30-40 minutes, the low coolant light comes on. Strangely enough, turning off the engine and turning it back on causes the light to stay off until another long drive.

I checked the coolant level later that day, but there was plenty of it; as a matter of fact, I haven't detected that the level is getting lower over the course of the week. It doesn't look like there are any leaks either, but the warning light keeps coming on after a long drive. Further, the temperature gauge gives me a constant reading in the normal range, no matter how long I drive.

I was hoping someone could give me some hints as to where I should start troubleshooting. My first guess would be that the device responsible for measuring the amount of coolant in the recovery tank is at fault, but I'm not sure how to go about checking it. Please help!

Thank you!

·
Registered
23,579 Posts
Either unplug the sensor at the bottom of the tank and simply monitor your gauge, or replace the tank. Sensor is not serviceable. On my 99 tec i could see the wire running into the bottom pass. side. Unplugged it using long 90 degree needle-nose pliers without removing the tank. On a side note, another member on here drained about half or more of the 50/50 mix from the tank and replaced it with straight antifreeze and this kept the chime and light at bay. Evidently the float stayed suspended in the stronger mix. Specific gravity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts