Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 24v DOHC and it has 167k miles...it runs good but has a slight miss off idle. I was thinking of plugs and wires...my wires say 1999 on them...could they be the original ones? lol
also what brand wires and plugs do I use? I read about the intake gaskets...do they need to be replaced too? thanks in advance! Garth

·
Registered
619 Posts
Search on here about plug and wire brands. Most folks like Motorcraft. It is quite possible the wires are original. AFAIK, only the OE wires are date stamped.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
I would suggest motorcraft or autolite double platinums or iridiums for the plugs. And autolite professionals (adv. auto) or borg-warner (oreilly and poss. adv. auto) for the wires.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol...so no one wanted to tackle the question about the intake manifold gaskets? the book says you dont have to remove it...just the coil pack...

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
I usually just reuse the uim gasket unless it appears damaged or im having hard to pinpoint lean codes (po171 & po174). Those are usually a result of a faulty pcv hose below the throttle body on these engines.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Some claim not to remove anything, others remove the pass. side windshield cowling. Ive tried both and remove the upper intake everytime now, especially when routing new wires. That way you can clean things as you go and visually inspect the coil pack top and bottom, etc.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok...advanced suto says 42 for the wires and 6.50 each for the autolight plugs....I guess I will bite! lol thanks!

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Lol. I meant hard time pinpointing lean codes. Be sure to inspect pcv hose and clean or replace the pcv valve under the tb!

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
On the coil, yes. Remove it and inspect it for cracks (esp. on the bottom) and sides, corrosion, cracked towers, etc. General overall physical damage.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
This way you can clean it easier and also check and clean out the c-shaped channel to the egr valve of carbon with a small screwdriver and tb cleaner. Channel is behind tb gasket. You can also clean the egr valve, iac, maf (with crc maf cleaner), tb, intake, etc.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
I usually leave the tb cables attached and just lay it to the left a bit out of the way. Do remove the return spring though.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Go with Motorcraft for the wires since they are the quality you want and the price is reasonable around $40

I got my set of amazon, if its the same set that fits my Vulcan here they are.

I would recommend autolite platinum or higher for the plugs, the Bosch plugs don't play nice with our engines except the IR Fusion which are expensive and i am running them now with better luck than any other Bosch spark plug.

In addition to the physical damage look of the coil pack you can do some sort of a test with a multimeter to determine if it needs replaced, will need someone to step in with the specifics for that if your interested though.

I wouldn't touch any gasket that wasn't leaking though.

Remember to use anti-seize on those plugs that are going in that aluminum block if you ever want to get them out, and don't over torque them!

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Yes, you, or autozone for free, can do a primary and secondary resistance test on the coil if you have an ohmeter and haynes or chiltons manual with the how-to and specs. I dont put much faith in the tests because ive had several coils test in spec, yet fail under load. Then again, if they test bad, you know. If they test good, just dont completely rule out the coil as being the culprit. Motorcraft wires are a good choice too, but in the local parts stores where available they run $20-40 more than the autolite pros. Not justified to me.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
P.S.: Wiresets are different on the tec and vulcan. Also a bit more expensive for the tec. Motorcraft part# for the tec is WR4113.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would not get the Borg Warner wires, they do not meet the OEM specs. I ran a set on my brothers 4.0L Aerostar and they are already starting to break down. Use only Motorcraft or Magnacore.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts